Select to view content in your preferred language

Error when exporting data - characters, field names, errors etc.

02-25-2013 07:26 AM
DavidRocha1
New Contributor
Hi all. I have a layer in a GDB, which contains fields including some that are Character, which are numbers with leading zeros. Other fields are long, e.g. dx2010_address_type.

I'm struggling to export the data and
a) preserve Character variables as character. Export to text file from the table view does not do this, it stores values as 06001234 etc. in the file, but with no quotes around them, they end up being processed as numbers and losing the leading 0.
b) preserve long field names. Export to DBF does not do this, it cuts them short. It does seem to keep the leading 0s in the character variables, which is nice.

I also tried exporting to a personal geodatabase (test.mdb), but I get this error:

"Error exporting data.
The table was not found.
The table was not found. [GDB_ObjectClasses]
The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query
'GDB_ObjectClasses'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly."

I also tried to use a Toolbox tool, Data Interoperability Tools>Quick Export, which appears as a hammer. When I double click to start it, a red X appears over the hammer (?) and it never starts.

So is there a preferred way to accomplish this in one step, and maintain my character variables and long field names? Thank you.
0 Kudos
0 Replies