error generated when trying to create a geodatabase in PostgreSQL 9.2

10-30-2013 01:31 PM
MikeHares
New Contributor
I am using the 'Create Enterprise Geodatabase' option in ArcMap 10.2 to create a geodatabase in a PostgreSQL 9.2 database. I have followed the instructions for installing the PostGreSQL client libs and i can connect to the database OK).
I have also copied the st_geometry.dll lib from the <ARGGIS_HOME>\DatrabaseSupport\PostgreSQL\9.2\windows64 directory to the <POSTGRESQL_HOME>\lib directory.
I have also restarted the PostgreSQL server.

However, i still get the following message when creating the geodatabase

Executing: CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase PostgreSQL dmsmulticlient test DATABASE_AUTH postgres ***** SDE_SCHEMA sde ***** # "C:\Program Files (x86)\ESRI\License10.2\sysgen\keycodes"
Start Time: Wed Oct 30 12:37:42 2013
User has privileges required to create database objects.
Geodatabase admin user already exists.
Database already exists.
Validated authorization file.
User has required privileges for geodatabase setup.
XML support is enabled for the database instance.
You must copy the latest ST_GEOMETRY and dependent libraries to the PostgreSQL software location. Refer to the ArcGIS help topics for more details.

Connected RDBMS instance is not setup for Esri spatial type configuration.
Failed to execute (CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase).
Failed at Wed Oct 30 12:37:43 2013 (Elapsed Time: 1.34 seconds)

Have i missed any steps? What am i doing wrong?

Thanks
Mike
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
That message is generated with PostgreSQL server denies ArcGIS access to
the DLL.  The location of the DLL varies (not always in PGHOME\lib), depending
on how the binaries were built. Where did you obtain your server installation media?

You mist also copy 32-bit PostgreSQL client DLLs into the Desktop/Server
<ARGGIS_HOME>\bin directory.

- V
0 Kudos
MikeHares
New Contributor
I have checked the security settings and permissions on this dll and it seems to have the same settings as other dll's in the PGHOME\lib directory.
One curious thing is that the description of the dll states it is for PG 9.0 ('SDE ST Geometry lib for PG 9.0') although it may not have changed between PG 9.0 and 9.2.

I am running the PG database on windows 2012 server so everything i have read says to put the dll in the PGHOME\lib directory.

I downloaded the PG9.2.2 server kit - and the client libraries - from the ESRI support site.

I have copied the 32-bit client libs into the ARCGIS_HOME\bin directory.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Something went wrong with your copy operation.  The only st_geometry.dll that will function
with 9.2 states "SDE ST Geometry lib for PG 9.2".

- V
0 Kudos
MikeHares
New Contributor
you are right.

Somehow i picked up a 9.0 dll from the ArcGIS installation. I found and copied the correct 9.2 dll and now the operation succeeds.

Thank you
0 Kudos