Editing in Multiple Data Frames

Jump to solution
01-29-2014 10:53 AM
deleted-user-dbQhBq-o3nyM
Occasional Contributor
I am making a map that contains multiple data frames. Is there a way to have all my data layers in the Main Data Frame be the parent data and the other data frames contain a layer that points back to the parent?

If so, I could edit the parent data and it would reflect it in the other data frames and would help my data stay constant and accurate across my map. Otherwise there is too much data to remember to change when editing symbology and in the table. I would prefer, at this point, not to script it because of time constraints.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
You should be able to just add all your data in your main data frame, add another data frame and copy paste your layer in the new frame.

Once you start making edits, make sure to right click your parent data frame and click "Activate". Those edits should be carried over to your other data frames since the source of your layers are the same.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
You should be able to just add all your data in your main data frame, add another data frame and copy paste your layer in the new frame.

Once you start making edits, make sure to right click your parent data frame and click "Activate". Those edits should be carried over to your other data frames since the source of your layers are the same.
0 Kudos
deleted-user-dbQhBq-o3nyM
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the quick response. I guess I didn't ask what I thought I was asking. I want the symbology to reflect the data frame's symbology too. Can I just change the symbology in the main frame and then have it change the others as well or is they independent of each other that way?
0 Kudos
LeonardLuz3
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the quick response. I guess I didn't ask what I thought I was asking. I want the symbology to reflect the data frame's symbology too. Can I just change the symbology in the main frame and then have it change the others as well or is they independent of each other that way?

Hi there!

They're independent. But you can change the symbology of the one layer from other data frame by importing it from the main data frame. In the Symbology tab > Click Import > Specify the layer fro the Main Data Frame that you want to copy the symbology from. 🙂
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Or you could just set up the symbology in your parent data frame before copying it over, that saves you a lot of importing.
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
You can also export save the symbolized feature classes to a layer file (if you put them all in a group, the you can export them all at the same time). Then drag and drop the layer file into the different data frame instead of from data frame to data frame.
0 Kudos