e00 files

2329
9
Jump to solution
01-31-2016 04:51 PM
Highlighted
New Contributor II

So I just downloaded a series of e00 files from the USGS Geophysics website and I am trying to load them into my ArcMap project. I am using the 'import from e00' tool in the Arc Toolbox but I am getting a rather ambiguous message from an Import71 Utility window. It requires that I enter the name of the export file and then enter the name for the output data source. Once I do that I get a message that the file cannot be accessed and to make sure I have security privileges on the drive. I checked the folder where I would like to place the output data source and the folder attributes are set to read-only. I uncheck the box and hit ok to change the attributes but the folder status does not change. I am logged on as administrator for this machine but I cannot seem to change the status. This is a Windows 10 operating system. Any ideas on how to correct this?

Thanks.

Reply
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Chris, can you send a direct link to the location of one of the files you downloaded?  I have win10 and 10.3.1 and can test now.  I also have Workstation so I can make sure the file is ok, in case it is actually a corrupt file.

Just fyi, I know my Win10 machine had an auto-upgrade that was pushed thru earlier today, and I'm now having strange behavior on my browsers (both IE-Edge and the latest Firefox)

------

edit...additional info

To test and to eliminate the win10 issue, in general, I exported a shape to a new coverage....converted to an .e00, then imported the e00 to make sure it was working in ArcGIS Desktop....I had no issues.

I created a NEW folder... C:\_newTest so I know there weren't any name conflicts in creating the new coverage.  The conversion will create an two folders...one which is the same as the output name....and the other an "info" folder.  Both will have files...and both are needed to be a coverage (ArcGIS Help 10.1 what is a coverage).

Besides creating a new folder (subsequent imports should be able to use same folder....and additional files will be writen to the same "info" folder), you will want to make sure the path doesn't have any spaces, special characters, etc (underscores are ok) and because ArcInfo Workstation goes to the "DOS" days (way before Windows), it's always best to keep the coverage name simple.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You may want to move this post to a different place (see GeoNet Community Structure and Moving Content ).

You may want to consider renaming the thread, since if the conversion to a different location where you have write privileges works (does it?), this is an OS issue and has little to do with the conversion of E00 files.

Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Chris, can you send a direct link to the location of one of the files you downloaded?  I have win10 and 10.3.1 and can test now.  I also have Workstation so I can make sure the file is ok, in case it is actually a corrupt file.

Just fyi, I know my Win10 machine had an auto-upgrade that was pushed thru earlier today, and I'm now having strange behavior on my browsers (both IE-Edge and the latest Firefox)

------

edit...additional info

To test and to eliminate the win10 issue, in general, I exported a shape to a new coverage....converted to an .e00, then imported the e00 to make sure it was working in ArcGIS Desktop....I had no issues.

I created a NEW folder... C:\_newTest so I know there weren't any name conflicts in creating the new coverage.  The conversion will create an two folders...one which is the same as the output name....and the other an "info" folder.  Both will have files...and both are needed to be a coverage (ArcGIS Help 10.1 what is a coverage).

Besides creating a new folder (subsequent imports should be able to use same folder....and additional files will be writen to the same "info" folder), you will want to make sure the path doesn't have any spaces, special characters, etc (underscores are ok) and because ArcInfo Workstation goes to the "DOS" days (way before Windows), it's always best to keep the coverage name simple.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Rebecca,

Thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestions.

Here is the link to the e00 files I have downloaded from the USGS:

USGS Online Publications Directory

The files are compressed as gz files so you need a program to unzip them. I used 9zip.

Chris

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Chris.  It will be tonight before I have a chance to test on a win10 machine (at home).  But hopefully some of the above will resolve you problem before then. 

Highlighted
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I tried to convert the largest file (magfin_e00.gz) using ArcGIS 10.3 on Windows 8 and the file seems to be OK. The only thing is that after unzipping the content you have to rename the file to have the e00 extension.

I wonder what the result on Windows 10 will be.

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Xander,

I have managed to load the coverage into my ArcMap project. Both Rebecca and your suggestions were most helpful.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Glad you were able to get it to work now.  I will not follow up tonight with a test of win10 since it doesn't sound like you need it anymore.  That is, not a OS issues, you (....or I should say your procedures) just needed a few tweaks.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Yes. Thanks again for your help!

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The most important thing is, as Rebecca Strauch, GISP already stated, that you managed to import the files. I'm glad we could help.

Reply
0 Kudos