Don't know how... Join??

09-01-2016 10:07 AM
JeffReagan
New Contributor

Hello,

Help needed... Example:

Trying to figure out how many linear miles of stream are on a particular property type based on ownership.

I have a properties polygon with many ownership type attributes, but I am only looking to solve for specific property ownership types.  And, I have many stream segments, each with a mileage attribute.  I just can't seem to figure out to join these two features properly so that I can solve for how many miles of stream are within the boundaries of specific property ownership types.  

Thank you for any guidance!

Jeff

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff,

One of possibly several ways to do this is to make a copy of the stream layer and use that copy in a clip (analysis toolset).

1. Make a copy of the Streams layer in ArcCatalog.
  2. Select the properties of interest and then right click that layer in the TOC and choose Data > Export Data to export those selected features as a new featureclass.
  3. Open ArcToolbox and find Analysis Tools > Extract > Clip
  4. The Input Features will be your streams layer copy.
  5. The Clip Features will be your result of step 2.
  6. Once you have your clipped streams then you can update the 
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jeff,

If the streams fall completely within the property boundaries, you can use the Spatial Join tool.  If the stream data crosses the boundaries, you would need to perform an Intersect between the parcel boundary and streams, recalculate the mileage, and then run a spatial join.