Divide Line evry 100 Meters

06-01-2013 04:11 AM
DXXX
by
New Contributor III
Ok I seem to be running into problems every where with Arc10.1

I want to take one continuous line that is 4022Km and break it up into 100 Meter sections.

The splite tool doesn't work.

Anyone help me out here please?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
Sounds like your most appropriate option is the Split command...see the webhelp, specifically the part on "Splitting Lines at a specified distance or percentage":
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//01m80000001z000000

I haven't fooled with this in awhile, but think when I last tried this, I was in an edit session and executed this on a selection...dividing the selection into equal intervals from the specified start (or end) point.

Enjoy,
Wayne
0 Kudos
DXXX
by
New Contributor III
I have used the split line tool when in an edit session. However 1, it only allows you to split the line up into a maximum of 999 parts. 2, the distance option is wired, because when you entre 100 or entre 1000 or entre and figure say 627 the line gets split into 2 parts wired.

Still stuck on this problem.
0 Kudos
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
A more involved solution if this fits your situation and you don't mind the extra work is to use Linear Referencing tools.
Basically what you'd need to do is create a route from the desired line features and specify the end you want to start 'measuring' from.  Then you could create points along the route at the designated interval....I think you'll need an input table, easy enough to create.  ....those 2 tools are in the Linear Referencing toolbox, I think Create Routes and Make Route Event.... (I'm relying on memory here.)

Once you have the the points, it's an easy matter of splitting the line at the point intersections...there's a separate tool for that.

That should give you more precisely what you ask, hope that helps.

Wayne
0 Kudos
DXXX
by
New Contributor III
I have found the answer. Download and install the ET Geo Wizards add-in for ArcGIS desktop. Then use the Split Polyline Wizard in this toolbox. You can break up the line what ever way you want. As in by length, percentage etc. The Geo Wizard tool box should be in everyone's tool box set as it has often saved my. Lately ArcGIS has a bunch of tools that don't work and I have found the Geo Wizard to fill in the short comings of ArcGIS.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
You can also try the Divide Line By Length Add-in up on editing labs.
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
myname
by
New Contributor III
0 Kudos