Disconnect SDE Connection in Pro

07-23-2018 07:01 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

From my testing of various versions of Pro (1.4 through to 2.2), it appears that you cannot disconnect from SDE once you have connected to an SDE database.  Currently the only way to truly disconnect from SDE connections in Pro is to close the ArcPro app altogether.  Now this seems like it might be problematic when Pro is used for SDE administrative tasks where not being able to disconnect from SDE could cause SDE locks for admin SDE tools.  Is this current architecture by design and will persist in future versions of Pro? 

Tags (4)
29 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

I agree the ability to connect and disconnect to an geodatabase in Pro is absolutely needed.
I posted this idea back in 2019 - Pro Contents Window Connected Geodatabases 

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
WilliamRice
Occasional Contributor II

With Database Connections using ArcCatalog, one can right-click on the connection and select "Disconnect".   As a Geodatabase Administrator, having the ability to explicitly disconnect the connection is useful when some type of action is needed to perform a refresh of the underlying database connection.  Such as when new feature classes have been added to the geodatabase and one needs to now be able to view those new additions in the existing database connection.   

The "Disconnect" operation has been in the ArcGIS Desktop software for years.  A similar "Disconnect" operation is needed with Catalog in ArcGIS Pro.  Currently, to refresh an existing database connection in ArcGIS Pro, one has to exit the ArcGIS Pro project and then reopen the project.

AndrewQuee
Occasional Contributor III

Some time later... no change at 2.9.5/3.1.1 I thought feature equivalence with ArcGIS Desktop was the goal?  There is still no "Disconnect" option in Pro as Desktop has.

0 Kudos
MKF62
by

2022 and still no way to do this??

AJR
by
Occasional Contributor II

not as of AGP 2.9 😞

0 Kudos
MKF62
by

I have a feeling they're never going to do it at this point. I don't understand that. I shouldn't have to close AGP to disconnect from a database. You can remove the connection completely, but that defeats the point of having an eGDB in your favorites. Closing connections and removing locks is really not appropriate or efficient...

ctalleygreenville
New Contributor III

This is a real handicap in switching from old ArcCatalog (desktop ArcGIS) compared with trying to set up a similar admin environment in PRO.  I have various connections in desktop Catalog to the same DB but as different users.  I am constantly using the right click on DB connection and choosing "disconnect" during admin tasks  that require different user logins.  

What ARE people doing to switch from ArcCatalog to Catalog in Pro for Admin?  I keep finding myself "just giving up and opening in ArcCatalog" to do some tasks.  I have pretty much totally switch ArcMap tasks to Pro but my DB admin tasks in Catalog -- I haven't determined how to make the switch.  

AxelLévy
New Contributor III

Still nothing in 2022 ? "Error DBMS..."

The only way to refresh the connection is to restart Arcgis PRO... 

fkhan242
New Contributor III

I think there should be a "disconnect" option in Pro as well. This option in ArcCatalog was very useful. 

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I used the disconnect in Pro 2.9.2 yesterday and it worked as expected.

--- George T.
0 Kudos