Select to view content in your preferred language

Direct Connect DLLs

10-22-2009 03:27 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Original Post Date: Oct 22, 2009 4:27 PM PDT

On the old install for Desktop these were a part of the install, but then I heard they were on the same "disk" for SDE, is that the case, or are they just incuded as part of the install for desktop.  Trying to connect from 94 to 931.
0 Kudos
33 Replies
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
If you install 2008 native client is there still an issue?
0 Kudos
SteveAdams
Occasional Contributor
I guess I could but our database is sql server 2005
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
We have sql server 2005, and are testing native client 2008, I haven't seen issues, especially the one you reported. We have it running on four machines.
0 Kudos
SteveAdams
Occasional Contributor
OK I installed the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client.
The error is basically the same:
DBMS table not found[Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0:Invalid object name 'databasename.dbo.GDB_Items'.][databasename.dbo.GDB_Items]

9.4 has been installed on a VM and I am trying to access my ArcSDE through a direct connect.  I know the ArcSDE is working, because I connect to it from my desktop machine.  I can't even set up the connection through the ESRI_SDE service running on the ArcSDE.  Has a slightly different error but still dealing with GDB_Items.  What's interesting is that there is no table named GDB_Items on the server.  I can go through SQL Server Management and see that there is no table.
I should also mention when I set up the connections and hit test connection it comes back with successfully connected.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Should log this with support, I don't want to encounter this later on.  So, your test connection was successful on the VM, but the actual dc and service connections both fail with slightly different errors from your vm to your sde server.  What vm are you using?  Is your vm on the sde server, or on your desktop?
0 Kudos
SteveAdams
Occasional Contributor
The VM running 9.4 is on a completely seperate VM from the ArcSDE or from my desktop.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
The VM running 9.4 is on a completely seperate VM from the ArcSDE or from my desktop.

So, you are running vm for desktop 94, and vm for sde with sql server, and desktop is just that on your workstation.  Are both VMs running on the same server or separate servers. I assume you are using ESX, otherwise performance should be suffering
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Hi Steve,

If you went through Shannon's post in this thread and are still having problems please contact support and we can help you out.
0 Kudos
SteveAdams
Occasional Contributor
After working with ESRI, this is what I did:

Created a new database in ArcSDE 9.3.1 and made the direct connection.

This now works.

What I still can't do is direct connect to an existing 9.3.1 ArcSDE database.
0 Kudos
HectorMelendez-Alvarado
Regular Contributor
Are there any drivers to make direct connection from pre 9.4 clients (ArcGIS 9.3.1/9.3/9.2...) to an ArcSDE 9.4 GDBs?
0 Kudos