Direct Connect DLLs

10-22-2009 03:27 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Original Post Date: Oct 22, 2009 4:27 PM PDT

On the old install for Desktop these were a part of the install, but then I heard they were on the same "disk" for SDE, is that the case, or are they just incuded as part of the install for desktop.  Trying to connect from 94 to 931.
0 Kudos
33 Replies
MichaelOlkin
New Contributor III
I just installed ArcGIS Desktop 9.4 beta & the first issue that I've found is that I'm unable to create a new connection from ArcCatalog 9.4 to our existing 9.2 ArcSDE Enterprise Geodatabase.  I've tested out a couple *.sde connection files to that same database that we have on our network & these work on 9.4, but I just can't seem to create a new connection in 9.4.  I've tested a couple different logins & I've verified that I have all of the parameters & credentials correct.

-Mike O
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
0 Kudos
RobertWest
New Contributor
Did you see the answers posted in the ArcGIS Server Installation/Config forum? 

Robert
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Yep, it was me who posted it there, originally.  Very helpful.  Oops, your not referring to me, are you?

This should be helpful.

Ted,

this message means that your SQL Server Native Client is not up to date. At 9.4, when connecting to SQL Server, you must have the SQL Server Native Client installed locally that matches, or is newer, than the SQL Server instance you are trying to connect to. If you are connecting to SQL Server 2008 you need to have the 2008 Native Client. It is downloadable from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C6C3E9EF-BA29-4A43-8D69-A2BED18FE73C&displa...

-Shannon
0 Kudos
BuddyNagel
New Contributor
I get a error message when connecting to ArcSDE 9.2 SP5 or 9.3 SQL Server 2000. Failed to connect to database. Connection was attempted with an older version.........

Buddy
0 Kudos
MichaelOlkin
New Contributor III
Thanks for the response on this.  I actually wasn't using direct connect & it turns out that the issue was my own error.  My existing 9.2 enterprise geodatabase is on a SQL Server 2000 named instance; I was using this convention: <server>\<instance> when attempting to connect, when all that I needed was just the server name.

All set now!
0 Kudos
RobertWest
New Contributor
Please check this thread

http://forumsbeta.esri.com/showthread.php?t=91

and see if Shannon's answer is what you need.

Robert
0 Kudos
EugeneYang
New Contributor
Regarding the original question.

If you installed ArcGIS 9.4 beta, you don't need to install any direct connect drivers separately. All the necessary pieces to make backward direct connect to 9.3, 9.3.1, 9.2SP6 are already included.

Eugene
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
except the native client, mentioned above.
0 Kudos
SteveAdams
New Contributor III
I had the same problem so I installed the Microsoft SQL Server Native Client for sql server 2005.  I can now do Test connection and it works, but when I click ok I get another error.
DBMS table not found[Microsoft SQL Native Client: invalid object name 'databasename.dbo.GDB_Items'.][databasename.dbo.gdb_Items]
0 Kudos