Data synchronization (source: enterprise gdb, destination: file gdb),

02-22-2014 01:26 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Data synchronization (source: enterprise gdb, destination: file gdb),

I have highlighted this issue several times ago.

In my current workflow, our enterprise geodatabase (source) is mapped to file geodatabase (destination) by replica. Our web mapping application reads from this file geodatabase. The reason behind this is the PERFORMANCE. Reading the layers and services that is sourced from file geodatabase is much more powerful that reading them from enterprise geodatabase.

Replica Disadvantage:
Three type of changes are not updated through the synchronization:
1. Layers added to the source
2. Field added to the source
3. More than 1000 records (features) deleted from the source.
If one of the above mentioned actions are performed on the source geodatabase, then the file geodatabase must be deleted and new replica should be created.

Replica Advantage:
The only advantage of the synchronization is that the data update from the source to destination can be done easily without the need to stop any service (using the �??synchronize changes�?� tool)!

Remark:
At the moment, there is no GEOPROCESSING tool that can create replica from the enterprise gdb to the file gdb.

1. The �??create replica�?� tool doesn�??t allow tables (non-spatial data) to participate in the replica
2. The �??create replica�?� of tool bar requires adding all the layers of the enterprise gdb to the ArcMap to create the replica. This is itself a headache

What I�??m looking for is one single tool that can take all the updates from the source to the destination IN ONE GO. This tool is supposed to:
1. Delete the existing file gdb (destination)
2. Create new replica between the enterprise gdb (source) and the file (destination)

Is that possible in theory?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Jamal,

In regards to your disadvantages:

1. Layers added to the source

-This is possible using ArcObjects:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcobjects-net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//00010000043w000000

2. Field added to the source

-See the following article on how to update the schema of a replica:

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/34654

-You should still be able to perform a synchronization if 1000 features or more are deleted.  If you are receiving an error, you should contact Tech Support.
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

-You should still be able to perform a synchronization if 1000 features or more are deleted.  If you are receiving an error, you should contact Tech Support.

Jake,

Jamal hit a 10.2 known and ESRI registered bug, that Asrujit pointed out in this other thread Jamal started:

Bug NIM-094669

So I think it is time for ESRI to start doing some work instead... Ah, well, now see it is registered as fixed for the 10.3 release~! 😉
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Remark:
At the moment, there is no GEOPROCESSING tool that can create replica from the enterprise gdb to the file gdb.

1. The �??create replica�?� tool doesn�??t allow tables (non-spatial data) to participate in the replica
2. The �??create replica�?� of tool bar requires adding all the layers of the enterprise gdb to the ArcMap to create the replica. This is itself a headache

What I�??m looking for is one single tool that can take all the updates from the source to the destination IN ONE GO. This tool is supposed to:
1. Delete the existing file gdb (destination)
2. Create new replica between the enterprise gdb (source) and the file (destination)

Jamal,

You can surely complete the above task, but not with ONE single tool!

You can use the 'Delete' tool to delete the File geodatabase and then use the below workaround to create the Replica.

>>Create a model using the 'Make Table View' and the 'Create Replica' tools.
> Pass the standalone table to the 'Make Table View' tool and set a filter in the expression. eg. Objectid>=1 can be used if the entire table is being replicated.
> Pass the output of the 'Make Table View' to the 'Create Replica' tool and define the various parameters.

Reference:
Create Replica on SDE Table:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/48195-Create-Replica-on-SDE-Table?p=166604#post166604

However, I am not sure if this will help, as you will have to manually "Unregister the Replica" to create another replica with the same name.(or you'll have to manually change the replica name everytime to a new one)

As Marco pointed out, the NIM seems to be fixed in an upcoming release, so you should be able to synch more than 1000 records (features) deleted.

Regards,
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal,

You can surely complete the above task, but not with ONE single tool!

You can use the 'Delete' tool to delete the File geodatabase and then use the below workaround to create the Replica.

>>Create a model using the 'Make Table View' and the 'Create Replica' tools.
> Pass the standalone table to the 'Make Table View' tool and set a filter in the expression. eg. Objectid>=1 can be used if the entire table is being replicated.
> Pass the output of the 'Make Table View' to the 'Create Replica' tool and define the various parameters.

Reference:
Create Replica on SDE Table:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/48195-Create-Replica-on-SDE-Table?p=166604#post166604

However, I am not sure if this will help, as you will have to manually "Unregister the Replica" to create another replica with the same name.(or you'll have to manually change the replica name everytime to a new one)

As Marco pointed out, the NIM seems to be fixed in an upcoming release, so you should be able to synch more than 1000 records (features) deleted.

Regards,

Many thanks guys for the help,

An end-user (like me) needs simple tool to update the destination geodatabase according to the source. At the moment, it is nightmare to have this done depending on the available technology. If the updates include adding layer, adding fields or deleting more than 1000 records, then the only way to update the source is to delete the replica and re-create a new one which is really a headache and time consuming.

�??compare replica schema�?� can be used to synchronize the fields. That�??s correct. But what I�??m looking for is a more integrated tool that can take care of all changes in one go

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31790[/ATTACH]
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos