Customize address locators in ArcGIS 10

02-04-2011 03:13 AM
AndreeaArgesanu
New Contributor III
Hello everyone

I am experiencing some problems with customizing the address locator style in ArcGIS 10. I have to admit that I haven't done any customization before, so this would be my first time. The reason why I need to do this is that the address locator style doesn't match the UK style addresses.

The elements that I tried modifying are:
- Suffix types, Prefix types, Unit types, House numbers and Aliases (all these under the grammar section)
- I have also tried to add unit type, unit number and house name into the mapping schema and reference data styles (Single House Address only)

Before starting the work, I have read the ESRI Geocoding technical paper "Customizing Locators in ArcGIS 10", November 2010 and used it as a guide.

After finishing the modifications, I have copied the .lot.xml .xsd and .xslt files into the Locators folder (C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Locators). Then, I tried creating a new address locator using the modified schema. I didn't get too far, as just after I clicked "My Address-Single House", ArcCatalog closed down without any warning or any error report.

I must have done something wrong, but I have no clue what or how I could validate the modified file and see my mistakes.

I have therefore attached the files that I have modified, hoping that there is someone here that could give me a hand with this.

Many thanks in advance

Andreea
Tags (2)
22 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

jazzgoh12‌ This is a very old post from 2011. I'll suggest that you post your question, as a new Thread, including all the details--

What are you trying to do?

What have you already tried?

What resources have you checked?etc

0 Kudos
KerrieOsborne1
New Contributor

The problem with starting a new thread, is that people can't see how long ESRI have ignored adding basic functionality into their product, relying on their users (who don't pay a small sum for their licenses!) to fix it for them.  The fact that I have had to search the community forum, for a UK address locator and a scalebar showing the current scale on a "World Leading" GIS system, is shocking!

0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III

Don't you just hate it when you have a problem ,Google it, find a forum that looks interesting, only to find you've been here before and posted in it and that previous version of me has made more progress that today's version of me?

Surely, someone has found a way to do a simple UK locator - all I want is a simple wild card search on a single field!

0 Kudos