Creating points from a spreadsheet w/o xy

03-15-2016 10:52 AM
KrisGilbert1
New Contributor II

How can I create points from a spreadsheet that do not contain xy? I just have a list of data, but some of that data includes location such as Section 1, Block 122.  I have a separate polygon layer that has all of the sections/blocks labeled, but I would like to add this information "automagically" without manually creating each point and then linking the data.  Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

You are describing Joining data: Joins and relates—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

You will need to make a common, single column on which to make your join (e.g. "Section_Block" -> "1_122").

KrisGilbert1
New Contributor II

But, I don't want the data to live in my polygon layer. I want it to create points within that polygon.  I could not find a way using join/relate that gave me what I was after.  Am I doing it wrong?

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Make points geometries, perhaps centroids, from the polygons and then join your tabular data to those.

KrisGilbert1
New Contributor II

That doesn't sound like it will save me any work.  Some polygons will end up with 1 point and some will end up with 10. So, if I created centroids, I would need to create the max for each polygon and remove the extras, right?  Is there something I'm not thinking of?

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Okay, if you're talking about a one-to-many relationship, then you should look into Relates. Joins and relates—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

KrisGilbert1
New Contributor II

I'll give it a try. Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi K,

I like Darrens ideas. Maybe do this:

1. Join your tabular data to the polygon (after making a concatenated field like Darren pointed out).
  2. In the join, be sure you click on 'all' the data instead of just matching data.
  3. Export this newly joined polygon layer to a new feature class.
  4. Then make centroids (like Darren suggested) of this new polygon feature class.

I believe that way it will keep all of your tabular data and then have it be the attributes of the new points (though, I would imagine the points would be on top of each other).

EDIT: I just saw Darren's post. Related tables might be the way to go.

KrisGilbert1
New Contributor II

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Try using custom location types in ArcGIS Maps for Office:

Location types—Esri Maps for Office | ArcGIS

You can create a feature service with your data and use it to locate your data.

-Kelly