Create Database User

11-22-2011 03:36 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Dialog is all screwy.  Text is cut off at top.  Basically to dup, run add for a user but do not user a correct type of password.  See below at the bottom.

Executing: CreateDatabaseUser "Database Connections\Test2600@SQL2012@Denali@OS.sde" DATABASE_USER TedC ***** # #
Start Time: Tue Nov 22 17:31:34 2011
Error creating database user. [Failed to create the new login for the database. (ERROR: Failed to create sqlserver login TedC (-51).
Error: Underlying DBMS error (-51).
Extended error code: (15116)
Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0: Password validation failed. The password does not meet Windows policy requirements because it is too short.
)]
Failed to execute (CreateDatabaseUser).
Failed at Tue Nov 22 17:31:35 2011 (Elapsed Time: 1.00 seconds)

Nice to have as part of this tool, is the ability to turn off Enforce Password Policy, along with perhaps User Must Change at next login.  Enforce Password Policy would be great to have especially for testing scenarios.

Dialog cut off for Enable Enterprise Geodatabase, too.  The dialog on the Results window, not the initial tool.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
So, not sure if this is a bug, but here it goes, more or less a consistency in behavior to what is described in text.

If you chose to create a database user for an operating system login, no input is required.

This is the text for the Database User Password.  If I Select the Check box for enabling Sys Authentication, the text box for Database User Password gets grayed out, so input is impossible.  Also, if I uncheck enabling Sys Authentication, and try and leave no password, I receive an error (Expected), so why then is the text box optional.

To sum:
Checked, Input is actually impossible, because the text box is inactive.
Unchecked, the text box is active, but is mandatory, not optional
0 Kudos
RashanWalker
Esri Contributor
The Create Database User tool correctly displays the error messages in ArcGIS 10.1 service pack "1".

In regards to the functionality of turning off the Enforce Password Policy (and requiring the user to change at the next login), please submit the ideal at ArcGIS Ideas web site (http://ideas.arcgis.com/)
0 Kudos