Geodatabase Design

12-18-2012 08:16 AM
VenkatKondepati
New Contributor III
Hi All,

I would like to start new discussion for geo-database design.

I have few questions while building the geo-database for different problems.

Problem 1: How do we manage the attributes from different tables to join to a layer? For example, we have well layer and want to join the well production data, directional survey data etc. along with graphics on Map.

Current Process: Create SDE View with required columns from different tables (1 to 5).

Challenges:

1. We cannot create Dynamic SDE View for versioned layer. But the requirement is to have incremental updates to different products instead of the replacing every time.

2. If we opt to go for non-versioned layer then we can�??t track changes.

Problem 2: How do we manage domains or sub types for SDE View or outside ArcGIS users?

Current Process: Replace manually with descriptions before creating SDE View to use SDE import / Export commands to transfer the data from one location to other or non-GIs users.

Challenges: This is overhead to update descriptions and manage the looks-up updated every time.

Following are the different thoughts.

1. Create Geo-database with full functionality like versioning, replication and archiving enabled for editor's environment and replicate to Reader's database daily or hourly.
2. How do we relate business tables? ArcGIS Relationships Vs SDE Views
3. How do we manage look-up values? ArcGIS Domains Vs static descriptions
4. ArcGIS Replication Vs Database synchronization.

I would like to have access to industry best strategies or practices or experiences to manage the above challenges. It will be great help if you share your thoughts.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Regards,
Venkat
0 Kudos
2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Using the poll feature isn't the best way to have this discussion.  The different options may all
be "correct" depending on context, and the "right" answer isn't sure to have the highest survey
count.

You've also not provided the version of ArcGIS in use.  ArcGIS 10.1 introduces new terminology
and new capabilities into the discussion.

- V
0 Kudos
VenkatKondepati
New Contributor III
Hi All,

To add to my original message.

The current version is ArcSDE 9.1 and ArcGIS 9.3 clients. But we are in the process to migration from 9.1 to 10.1. So I want to explore the best methods for design the new database.

I hope this helps you to understand the context.

Regards,
Venkat
0 Kudos