Copy Feature SQL DBMS Error Invalid Precision Value

04-08-2014 07:43 AM
HollyZhang1
New Contributor III
I am using ArcSDE 10.2. I can only copy or export the line features from the feature dataset. And I got an error below as I copy the point features from the same feature dataset:

---------------------------
Paste Failed
Failed to paste route.DBO.RN_TollPoint
Underlying DBMS error [HY104:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Invalid precision value] [Road_Public.DBO.RN_TollPoint]
OK

Anyone can help?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
10 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi Holly,

-What version of SQL Server are you using?

-What ArcGIS client is being used to copy the feature classes?

-What version is your SDE geodatabase in?(10.1, 10.2, 10.2.1, etc..)
--- George T.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Is your ArcGIS for Desktop client also 10.2?  Please also provide the version of the SQL Server database to which you are connecting (e.g., SQL Server 2005 Standard 32-bit, SQL Server Express 2008 R2, etc.).
0 Kudos
HollyZhang1
New Contributor III
I am using SQL Server 2008 R2, ArcGIS 10.2.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Ok, so how about your SQL Server Native Client version?  Per the Esri documentation:

If you are installing the SQL Server native client on a 64-bit operating system, use the 64-bit SQL Server native client executable. The executable detects the type of operating system and installs the correct database management system client. If you run the 32-bit SQL Server native client on a 64-bit operating system, it will fail.

Are you using the 64-bit native client or the 32-bit native client on your machine with ArcGIS for Desktop?
0 Kudos
HollyZhang1
New Contributor III
I am using 32-bit SQL Server native client on window 7 64-bit operating system.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
I believe the solution to your issue is that you need to install the 64-bit SQL Server Native Client, then close and re-open ArcCatalog to re-try your operation.  Post back to let us know the results.
0 Kudos
HollyZhang1
New Contributor III
I found that I have both 32-bit and 64-bit SQL Server native client Installed.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Alright, so that's probably not the issue then, if you confirmed both are installed.  Can you check the field lengths of your text fields?  Take a look at your base table (Road_Public.DBO.RN_TollPoint) from within SQL Server Studio Manager to see if any of the VARCHAR, NVARCHAR, VARCHAR(MAX), NVARCHAR(MAX), CHAR, or NCHAR fields have a length of 4000.  There is a bug at the 10.2 release that may relate:

When adding a feature to an existing feature class containing a text field with a length of 4000, or creating a new feature class with a 4000 character text field, an "Invalid precision value" error is returned.
http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDk1Mjc0

This may not be the issue, but I think it's worth covering our bases.
0 Kudos
HollyZhang1
New Contributor III
The max text length is 32.
Any other thoughts...
0 Kudos