connect points with lines (sorting,grouped)

06-04-2012 03:28 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MagnusP

Hello community,

i have two point-layers in ArcMap. One layer contains a "parent"-point, the other layer, the "children"-points. Each point has a special attribute, eg a membership (A, B, C). General, a "parent"-point has many "children"-points. 

Now I want to these points connect with each other, grouped by the (A,B,C,..)-item. It should be produced star-shaped lines between parents and their children.

From the "parent" point A to all "children" points, which also have the attribute A, should by drawn a line, directly with a one-to-one relationship. And the same for B, C, ...

What is the quickest and easiest way to create it?

Thanks

MagnusP
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
Try Spider Diagram Tool for ArcGIS 10.0

Alternatively at ET GeoWizards there's a tool Spider Diagram Attribute Link (It's not free function, so has some vertex limitation)
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: gizagui

Hello community,

I'm working on a similar problem than MagnusP, but not the same. I  have two point-layers in a gdb.
One layer contains a "parent"-point, the other layer, the "children"-points.
Each point has a special attribute, eg an ID that uniquely relates "parent"-points with the "children"-points, so, a "parent"-point has only one "children"-point.
I need to connect these two point layers with one line between parents and their children.
I've tried Spider Diagram Tool for ArcGIS 10.0, but connects each parent with all features of children point layer.
Is there a way to achieve the solution with this tool or, is there another tool (or method) way to create the line feature?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos