Import Schema Changes Tool not working

11-30-2011 07:50 AM
JonathanHouck
New Contributor III
Hello everyone,

I've got a two-way replica and I'm trying to make some basic schema changes to the parent, and then transfer them to the child.  The schema changes I'm trying to make are: adding three fields to a feature class that participates in a feature data set that has a geometric network.  I'm not sure if this is supported or not, the chart of allowed schema changes was a little ambiguous to me in this regard.

What I'm doing:

I right click on the parent database in the catalog window, go to Distributed Geodatabase, and Compare Replica Schema.  In the wizard window, I select the child database, the replica name, and output the file to one of our network drives.

Then, in the catalog window, I right click on the child database and select Import Replica Schema, and in that window, I navigate to the XML file.  After it locates the file, it lags for almost a minute, and eventually populates the input box with the XML file.  This is where the problem occurs, the Replica Name and Replica Type sections never get populated, and the "Next >" button stays grayed out.  Am I missing an important step, or doing something wrong?  Is there some kind of consideration I need to be making? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: I'm using ArcSDE 10.0, and running Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonathanHouck
New Contributor III
Resolved!  The problem I was having is, I was creating the schema differences file from the database opposite where I was importing to.  If you're going to import the file from one side, you need to create the schema log from that side as well.  (Example: make schema changes on the parent, use the compare schema tool on the child with the parent as an input parameter, then import the XML file to the child.)
JeffLegato
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for posting your resolution to this a I was experiencing the same behavior.  I was able to get the replica to import and make the change (add one field to a table) but when I try and synchronize the data it doesn't want to populate the new field.
0 Kudos
KateBuss
New Contributor III
Thanks for posting your resolution jhouck86 - I was doing this backwards too. The Esri documentation on this process is too vague    and not detailed enough and there's little info elsewhere on the web. So thanks again!
0 Kudos
CherylCleghorn
Esri Contributor
Please see the following knowledgebase articles:
FAQ:  Why does Import schema changes return the message: 'No schema changes found for this replica p... and HowTo:  Update schema changes with replication
They are relevant and I have submitted version updates for the articles.

Regards
Cheryl
0 Kudos