Change field names - join

Jump to solution
04-22-2015 07:05 PM
PV
by
New Contributor III

Is there a way to join two datasets together  (eg. FeatureClass called setA with fields "blabla1" "blabla2" and a textfile called setB.txt), then export the joined data as a new Featureclass without the new fieldnames to be setB.txt_blabla1; setB.txt_blabla2 but just blabla1; blabla2?

If not, is there a way to change many field names in a geodatabase at the same time automatically? Or to export the names to excel and import them again somehow?

Best, P

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

I Guess you meant to ask me about the ET tools. Yes, there are some great functions in that toolset and they have come in handy for me many times. In your case though, I think you're going to need a python script. I suggest posting a new question in the python subgroup, asking specifically for help with a script to strip those characters from your fields. You will get help more pertinent to your specific issue that way, and I feel your initial question has been answered, at least as you asked it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi P V,

Take a look at the Feature Class to Feature Class tool.  This will allow you to review the field names, and change them if need be, before exporting the feature class.

PV
by
New Contributor III

Thanks for the input, but how can I modify many fields at the same time without going through all fields manually? Like removing the All_txt_ at all fields (over 500 fields)

delete.jpg

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hey P.V.,

You might also check out the functions available in the ET Geowizard tools, an add-in for ArcGIS: ArcGIS tools add-ons and extensions from ET SpatialTechniques . I have found the Redefine Fields and Order Fields tool very useful, as these functions are not easily performed in ArcGIS.

PV
by
New Contributor III

Hey Chris!

Thanks, I think the Reorder Tool is very useful indeed. However, for the question on how to change many fieldnames at the same time, I do not see on how the redefine tool can help me? How can I manipulate many fields automatically? I need to remove the All_txt_ for many fields

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

I Guess you meant to ask me about the ET tools. Yes, there are some great functions in that toolset and they have come in handy for me many times. In your case though, I think you're going to need a python script. I suggest posting a new question in the python subgroup, asking specifically for help with a script to strip those characters from your fields. You will get help more pertinent to your specific issue that way, and I feel your initial question has been answered, at least as you asked it.

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Not exactly what you want but another option - If you have a more recent version of ArcGIS, you can also look into using the Alter Fields tool (Data Managment):

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

MichaelStead
Occasional Contributor III

In theory you might just try setting the joined data to show aliases and export your output with the same option.

Third paragraph here: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//005s0000002p000000

I seem to remember this not working due to some bug....but maybe it got patched. I seem to remember something ... Maybe in that Advanced Settings GUI where there is a check box for this..... And they give it a fancy term that sadly I can't recall.

Edit .....try searching "Qualified Field Names". Sure you could do this with python....but seems like needless pain to me.