Can't Create Geodatabase on SQL Server Express

08-05-2014 02:03 AM
SerkanOrnek
New Contributor

Hello,

We are using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 and we want to create a geodatabase on a SQL Server Express. We used the setup supplied with the ArcGIS 10.1 DVD. We created a SQL Server (2008 R2 Express edition) and enabled it to store geodatabases, and added this server to Database Servers in ArcCatalog. But when we want to create a new geodatabase on this server it gives an error and says "Error creating this geodatabase Operation Failed". I found the log file in the temp folder (sde_setup.log), and there is an error in creating STATE_LINEAGES table and an error code of -38. Every table before this created succesfully. I couldn't find any information about this error on the internet. Log file and screen capture of error attached to this post. Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

Can you check this one:

Start ArcMap, open the Catalog window, then expand the Database Servers folder in the Catalog tree.

• Right-click the database server and click Properties.
  • Product name should say Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition with Advanced Services. If instead it says Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition, you must install a SQL Server Express instance that includes Advanced Services
0 Kudos
SerkanOrnek
New Contributor

It says Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition with Advanced Services (64 Bit)

0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

Have you installed in sql express Full-Text Search?

0 Kudos
SerkanOrnek
New Contributor

Yes i did

0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

have you follow these step: SQL Server Express for Desktop 10.2.1 or Engine 10.2.1 Installation Guide - Enabling SQL Server Expr...‌ ?

-can you upgrade 10.1 sp1 and sql express 2008 r2 sp2?

0 Kudos
SerkanOrnek
New Contributor

I tried with ArcGIS 10.1, SP1 and 10.2.2, but I didn't try with sql express sp2. I'll download it and let you know if it works or not

0 Kudos
SerkanOrnek
New Contributor

same error with sp2

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

By any chance, is your Sql Server instance set to a collation of either Azeri_Latin_100_CI_AS or Azeri_Cyrillic_100_CI_AS?

Beginning with ArcSDE 9.2, case sensitive collation is not supported at SQL Server instance and database level, which means the database collation must be case insensitive.

What is the name you are using for creating the geodatabase?

0 Kudos
SerkanOrnek
New Contributor

Collation set to TURKISH_CI_AS, I tried with TURKISH_CI_AI also but none of them solved the problem. Server name is TEOSSQLSERVER and for geodatabase name I put GDB or TEOSGDB.

0 Kudos