Branch Versioning - Changing Access Level of Default

03-31-2022 07:15 AM
JonathanDaweEsriUK
New Contributor II
Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to change the access level of the default version of a branch versioned feature service. The aim is to change the access from public to protected.

In ArcGIS Pro and via the Version Management service (Alter Version on REST) it is showing that the admin user that owns the service doesn't have the permission to change the access.
JonathanDaweEsriUK_0-1648736033913.jpeg

JonathanDaweEsriUK_2-1648736111118.png

I have also attempted to alter the access by running the Alter Version GP tool against the Enterprise Geodatabase using the SDE connection. Interestingly this is showing to have been changed successfully to protected, but hasn't altered it on the branch versioned service.

JonathanDaweEsriUK_1-1648736033930.jpeg

I am at a loss/confused at what I need to do in order to make this change?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Jonathan,

It has been my experience with branch versioned services that if you need to alter the security, you have to stop the services and restart them.  If this doesn't work, you may have to delete the services and republish them.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JustinMuise
Esri Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

The access level of default needs to be altered through a database connection connected as the geodatabase administrator (typically either sde or dbo).

Hope this helps!

Justin

AneteZvaigzneLV
New Contributor III

Hi! 

I did exactly this: ''The access level of default needs to be altered through a database connection connected as the geodatabase administrator (typically either sde or dbo)'', however after publishing the service it has ''gone back'' to public! I did press save. I feel like loosing my mind, what could be wrong?

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Did you publish a new service?  Or replace the old one?  You may need to try to publish a brand new service with a new name.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JustinMuise
Esri Contributor

Hello!

If the DEFAULT version somehow reverted back to public, that could be a bug. However, when altering the DEFAULT version for branch versioning, as previously stated, you need to do this through the database connection. More specifically however, you need to make sure the database connection is using a branch versioning connection (Geodatabase Connection Properties > Branch).

You should not be required to re-publish or restart your service.

Hope this helps!

Justin

CliveReece
Esri Contributor

Hello Anete,

I see this is an old message.  Hopefully you found the answer long ago.  

For the record, the answer lies in setting your sde or dbo geodatabase connection to "Branch" when you want to set the DEFAULT (branch) version to "Protected". 

Most likely, your direct connection was set to Traditional versioning when you altered the access permissions on Default to "protected" the first time.