Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcMap crashes when geocoding after SP2 install

05-12-2011 10:24 AM
AndrewDecker
Emerging Contributor
Incident #928557

I'm having persistent crashing (ESRI error message/instant disappearance) when geocoding in 10 SP2.  I had some crashes before with 10SP1, but nothing like this.  At least five times a day, five so far and it's only 11am.  I can't make it crash and can't identify a dataset or environment setting that is causing it.  It's crashing locally on my machine as well as on our virtual server.  I didn't have problems before on our virtual server, but we put SP2 on day before yesterday and WHAM, crashola.  I've moved my data and locators around in fresh geodatabases and made fresh map documents but that hasn't mattered.  I have ArcInfo.  I renamed, on the recommendation of ESRI support, the normal.mxt and the ESRI registry to reset default settings, but that didn't work, still crashed. 

Like the tree said to the logger, I'm stumped.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
I am using the Street_addresses.loc locator in ArcGIS Desktop 10 SP1.  I see that address is a required field.  When my input table contains a NULL value for the address field, the geocode operation fails and actually crashes in ArcMap.  The locator was made in v10.  This issue does not occur for earlier versions of the same locator. 

@Brad Nieman from ESRI: is this a known issue and/or is there a fix for this?
0 Kudos
AJR
by
Frequent Contributor
I can confirm this bug with 10.0sp2.  If you have a table to geocode that contains one or more null values in one of the input fields ArcMap (and geoprocessing scripts) will crash.  The error appears to be intermittent/random.  Eliminating the null records from the input data set is a workaround until the bug is fixed by esri.  Note, applying the geocoding service patch for 10.0 sp2 does NOT fix the problem.

The same input data set runs fine using 9.3.1.
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
This is a known issue and it does have a fix but the fix is not in released software.  It may make it into SP3 or SP4.

Brad
0 Kudos
AprilNunn
Deactivated User
I can confirm this bug with 10.0sp2.  If you have a table to geocode that contains one or more null values in one of the input fields ArcMap (and geoprocessing scripts) will crash.  The error appears to be intermittent/random.  Eliminating the null records from the input data set is a workaround until the bug is fixed by esri.  Note, applying the geocoding service patch for 10.0 sp2 does NOT fix the problem.

The same input data set runs fine using 9.3.1.

Thanks for the help, this is exactly what I've been running into. Now all I have to do is get the nulls out of another party's data...
0 Kudos