ArcMap 10.5

Jump to solution
08-24-2017 07:13 PM
MichaelHeyroth
New Contributor III

Can I edit two layers at the same time in ArcMap10.5?

I am using shapefiles that are located in separate folders.  Do the shapefiles need to be in the same folder so I can edit them at the same time.  Very inconvenient switching back and forth(starting/stopping editing)  between layers each time I want to change something.

I can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it is far easier to keep them in the same folder... or bring them into a geodatabase.  Edit one at a time... if you are having to flip back and forth between files, you could explain why... if you need the results of edits in one file to be incorporated in the other, maybe you can finish the edits in file 1, export them, then append/merge them into file 2.  This really depends on what it is you are trying to accomplish

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it is far easier to keep them in the same folder... or bring them into a geodatabase.  Edit one at a time... if you are having to flip back and forth between files, you could explain why... if you need the results of edits in one file to be incorporated in the other, maybe you can finish the edits in file 1, export them, then append/merge them into file 2.  This really depends on what it is you are trying to accomplish

MichaelHeyroth
New Contributor III

Thanks.

I am moving water valves(points) to a different location and then I also need to also move the water lines(line feature) to a different location so them all connect correctly.  Would be nice if I did not have to keep starting and stopping editing as I change each layer.

0 Kudos
MicahBabinski
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Michael,

From what you are describing I would recommend taking a look at a geodatabase relationship class:

Benefits of relationship classes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

There's a lot of power to bringing conceptually (or in your case physically) related data into the geodatabase. With a properly-configured relationship class you may be able to just move your water valves and have the lines follow them automatically. I believe this is called a composite relationship class. It's worth considering.

Micah

MichaelHeyroth
New Contributor III

Once I brought all shapefiles into one folder I was able to edit multiple layers simultaneously.  

I will also be exploring  converting to a geodatabase.  Sounds like the way to go.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos