ArcGIS 10.1 and SDE Questions

08-22-2013 08:45 AM
JanieCarey
New Contributor II
We have an Oracle 10.2 enterprise database with ArcSDE.  We have two versions of SDE: 10.0 and 10.1 with the default SDE schema having been upgraded to 10.1 last week.  Yes, we have multiple SDE instances in this one Oracle database so our customers can be segregated and not have to preview everyone's data in ArcCatalog.  The majority of our customers also use versioing and replication.

Since the default SDE has been upgraded to 10.1 while others are at 10.0, how do I create another SDE instance for another group of customers who need the capability to version and replicate (check-in / check-out) between schemas.

My DBA created a brand new Oracle user account for me and I am trying to install the SDE objects within it.  However, when i try to use the "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" tool in ArcCatalog 10.1 but I keep receiving a "bad login user" error even when our DBA types in the sys password.

Normally, the DBA would have installed SDE using the command line on our Oracle server but this cannot be done, I think.  What do I need to do, I am confused and we have no ESRI support onsite.

Please advise...

V/R
Janie
0 Kudos
3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hey, Janie!  Long time no hear.

Unfortunately, you're not in a supported/supportable configuration.  Schema geodatabases
should be immediately upgraded to the same level as the master SDE geodatabase.  You
can't create a new schema geodatabase that isn't at the same release as the master.
I really don't know why the un-upgraded schema DBs are working at all, but it's probably
related to connection from 10.0sp4+ clients (one of the few occasions when Desktop was
forward compatible).

You probably want to get Tech Support on the horn to iron this out.

- V
0 Kudos
VolkanTopaloglu
New Contributor
Hello,

Geodatabase on the system during the update process is very slow due to the constant complaints have been taking. System is as follows:-Oracle-SDE-Rest Services-Users. When do users update via SD response is late return. What could cause this? For Spatial Database Engine How do I get the best performance?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Please ask a new question in a new thread. You should always include the RDBMS in use (with full version and service pack), the version of ArcSDE (with service pack), and the exact releases (and service packs) of all ArcGIS clients. Questions about performance should always include quantified timing information with quantified volumes (e.g., "It takes 22.346 seconds to return 130,367 rows of 1,263,829 total features, 671,478 of which are in the Adds table"). -V
0 Kudos