Appending tables in ArcMap gdb

11-12-2015 01:12 PM
JimHarding
New Contributor

Hi all - ArcMap noob looking for some answers, as I've made a few mistakes already and don't want to have to recreate all my feature classes and relates again.

I have two tables (building details) that relate to multiple feature classes (buildings), with the relationship based on "building_number" to provide building details when clicking on the building with the info cursor.  I want to know how to add records to the tables both in bulk or individual rows without breaking the relates.  Also, I've noticed that when I export from Excel to the gdb, it doesn't include numerous records with underscores, but it does from a CSV.  Am I doing something wrong?

To add to this, I'm trying to create a copy of the entire project in a "Test" folder so as not to blow up the production map, but the association of the mxd stays with the original gdb.  How can I point everything to the "test" gdb without having to recreate all relationships, polygons, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JimHarding
New Contributor

I think I figured it out - but I'd like a sanity check.  I went into catalog and updated the data source to  my test gdb.  All relates and feature classes seem to be intact, and I had previously imported the CSV building details to the "test" building details, which showed up in the "test" table.  Does that sound right?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Also, I've noticed that when I export from Excel to the gdb, it doesn't include numerous records with underscores, but it does from a CSV.  Am I doing something wrong?

What has underscores?  The field names or the data within the columns?  You should be able to:

Open arc map and using the add data button, add your excel workbook to the map

Right click on it  and open it to view the contents

While in the table window, right click on the table options button and select export; point your output to whatever gdb you want

I try to stay away from csv's if I can.

You can do a similar process in arc catalog; navigate to you excel workbook and open the page you want and export it to a gdg.  Or in arc catalog, navigate to your gdb, right click on it and select import table.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JimHarding
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick response!

Both the data field and the data in the columns have underscores (in some cases, not all).  I've got the actual adding of data to the map down during the creation phase - but this is a to be a "living" map, so the tables will occasionally need updates as data changes.  Import/Export to the gdb is straight-forward enough, but when I tried to add additional records in the past, I lost all my relates with the building polygons (feature classes).  I'm sure I did something wrong somewhere.

Why the aversion to CSVs? Can that cause problems for me?  I tried the CSV's due to some import quirks I discovered using Excel 2013 (it kept failing to export to the gdb).  Saving down to 97-2003 allowed me to export from Excel to the gdb, but again - some building numbers were missing (the ones with underscores or letters in the name).  The column pertaining to building number in Excel, as well as the feature class, is formatted as text vs. numeric, but I still ran into import issues unless pulling from a CSV.  BTW - I'm using ArcMap 10.3 currently.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Call me a database snob; excel and csvs aren't databases.  I'll use them if I have to, but prefer to avoid them. Maintaining a 'living' database by loading csv records into it sounds like trouble to me, and it appears to be trouble for you.

I'm not sure if 10.3 supports personal geodatases. Often times I have created them in ArcGis and then I'll maintain them while in Access; importing excell into access is as clean as it gets.  Importing any kind of  delimited text file into Access is smooth too.  If you could figure out a workflow that only adds new or altered records into your final database that will shave overhead as well.

You mention that you lose your relates: are these on-the-fly relates in ArcMap or actual relationship classes? If you are using the former, you might want to use the latter.  A relationship class should handle the dynamics of added records better.

That should just about do it....