Select to view content in your preferred language

After applying SP3 to ArcSDE 10 (RHEL 5.7 64-bit) --> ERROR while starting ArcSDE

10-26-2011 09:10 AM
BonnieGardner
Deactivated User
Applied SP# to ArcSDE 10 and received the following message:
The Service Pack (ArcSDE 10.0 Service Pack 3) has been successfully applied to ArcSDE 10.0 Server.

While trying to start ArcSDE 10, received the following message:
sdemon -o start -u sde -p ????
-------------------------------------------------------
ArcSDE 10.0 for Oracle11g Build 1937 Tue Aug 16 16:08:18 2011
-------------------------------------------------------

ST_Geometry Schema Owner: (SDE) Type Release: 1007

Instance initialized for ((sde)) . . .

Connected to instance . . .

ERROR in checking system st_geometry type (1).

Error checking the existence of system tables. Run
the Upgrade Geodatabase tool to install/upgrade system tables (-450).
Refer ArcSDE installation guide for instructions.

Could not start ArcSDE -- Check Network, $SDEHOME disk, DBMS settings and dbinit.sde.

The Network is fine.
$SDEHOME disk (?)
DBMS settings are good.
dbinit.sde is empty.

I'm a DBA by trade and new to GIS/ESRI technologies. I would appreciate any advice given.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
15 Replies
RachaelHarbes
Occasional Contributor
I am having the same issue with our database. I ran through the suggested instructions for ArcSDE 10.0 patch 3 on Linux with separate servers for Oracle and SDE. Now we can not connect through ArcCatalog to do the suggested steps above. I wanted to try the direct connect in ArcCatalog, but cannot seem to find where I would get the drivers for direct connect.

Honestly I would go for any solution right now. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
TomGiles
Deactivated User
hammadem brings up an excellent point - We cannot connect to the gdb through Arc Catalogue to upgrade as the sde service is not running.

Our issue is not with an out of date gdb, rather that the sde service itself won't even start.

Ken or other would you be able to speak to this?

Cheers
Tom
0 Kudos
NidhiSohal
New Contributor
You can connect using direct connect as sde user in order to upgrade the geodatabase. ArcSDE service should be stopped while upgrading as upgrade fails if there are any active connections.

Upgrading an ArcSDE geodatabase in Oracle

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002n000000p8000000

-Nidhi
0 Kudos
PaulSisson
Deactivated User
Arc SDE is shutdown. You say I can connect as the sde user using direct connect but I can't connect as the sde user using direct connect. Direct connect reports that ArcSDE must be running.
0 Kudos
Mudassir_Bilalsyed
New Contributor
Hi All,

Could anyone please reply to this thread if at all any solution was found to the above mention error. I am facing the same issue when i applied the service pack 3 to ArcSDE database, I am unable to start the service. Please help !!

Thanks in Advance
0 Kudos
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor
Hi Smudassir266,

Based upon the posts within this thread there appear to be a few seperate issues at play:

1) In the first post by Bonnie and second by Pranay it appears as though 10 sp3 had been installed yet the geodatabase had not been upgraded, thus the binaries used for the service were conflicting with the repository tables.  This situation should simply necessitate a connection via ArcGIS as an admin to upgrade the geodat6abase to the most recent service pack.  If this option is grayed out within ArcCatalog then the geodatabase does not require an upgrade.  It is important to note the installation of ArcSDE is not used to upgrade and only has an effect upon the creation of a new geodatabsae, creation of an ArcSDE service, and the use of sde command line and st_functions.  If the geodatabase had already been upgraded, the steps outlined by Pranay are correct within UNIX.  The step to perform the upgrade is what appars to be missing.

2) The issue which Eyad, Rachel, and Andrew outline appears to be difficulty with the creation of a successful direct-connection.  In this case the ArcSDE service has no impact on the connection as you are not using this middle-man to make the connection to Oracle.  The Oracle client is necessary to create a direct-connection (as of version 10.0 the Administrator client is necessary)  This is a separate download which may be found on Oracle's Metalink (support.oracle.com)

The ArcSDE service is not necessary for a successful direct-connection.  Often, if the direct-connect string is not entered correctly within the service field in ArcCatalog's Spatial Database Connection Properties dialog one will get an error message returned which states that an "Entry for SDE instance [was] not found in services file".  In the below error dialog this was thrown because I neglected to include the colon between "sde" and "oracle11g".  I am not sure if this is the error Andrew reports when trying to connect via direct-connect to upgrade.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12315[/ATTACH]

If you continue to encounter issues with the direct-connection to upgrade or in starting the service following upgrade please respond to this thread with additional information including the error logs, error messages, and any screen shots that will assist in describing the issue or contact Esri Technical Support for assistance, thanks.
0 Kudos