Address Locator not Finding Addresses

Jump to solution
09-02-2016 09:14 AM
RachelAlbritton2
New Contributor

I've created and address locator (dual range) using a reference set from our state GIS reference center. The street layer is formatted for to use for address location. My streets layer is in a file geodatabase (stand alone feature class) and my address locator is on a separate folder. 

I'm using 10.4.1

To trya nd trouble shoot, I also ran through the same process to create a locator using ESRI's tutorial data for geocoding and the tutorial guide. I'm getting the same results (No Address Found). 

I've read this post where a user had the same issue in 10.3.x that required a Service Pack Update to fix this issue, so I'm wondering if this, again, got overlooked when the software got upgraded to 10.4? Has anyone else had that issue. Is there something that I am overlooking?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
RachelAlbritton
Occasional Contributor III

Joe - 

Thanks for the response. I did try that I got the same result. I did try using the World GeoService Locator Yesterday for comparison and was able to locate my address points so I may have narrowed the issue down to the new roads FC. Although it appears to be all the same data, the road segmentation and therefore the address ranged my differ in some areas causing this issue. I'll be looking at that in more detail today. 

0 Kudos
JoeBryant1

Hi Shana,

I'm considering pushing out "Method 2: Permanently set the 'Match with no zones' default setting to Yes/True" to my entire organization's address locator install files. We contract with lots of utilities in the US, and the address data we are supplied often does not have zip codes.

It looks like you never found your old forum post. Could you briefly explain we we wouldn't want to set the default to 'true'? There must be a compelling reason, since ESRI did not change this setting after it introduced problems way back in 10.1.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Joe I agree. They need to work on the Locators. This, plus no support for Units, different results from autocomplete vs pressing Enter etc.  

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe:

I was able to find my response from the old thread, turns out it was moved over to the current forum system.

It sounds like you are still  using ArcMap or are creating classic locators in ArcGIS Pro with the Create Address Locator tool. My response was geared to the classic locators, but the same info about creating a locator with an administrative zone (city, state, postal, neighborhood, community) applies to the new locators built with the Create Locator tool. 

It is strongly recommended that administrative zones are mapped when building a locator. Region and region abbreviation are also important because they are used to help create different forms of state highways that are specific to each region or state. Not mapping them can impact geocoding quality and the performance.

Here are links to the last few explanations I provided about the 'match with no zones' property that answers why true ('yes') was never made the default:

https://community.esri.com/message/56300#comment-270455 

https://community.esri.com/message/56300#comment-270458 

JoeBryant1

Thanks Shana. I’ve decided NOT to change the default. Instead, I’ll educate our users on where to find this setting when appropriate.

Joe Bryant

GIS Coordinator

WEST YOST ASSOCIATES

direct 530.761.0226

Cell: 916-833-5840

Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin

Kind of a bummer the values are set to ='False' by default but there is a fix with arcpy to automate this process.

use the code below and set the variable "locatorPath" to the address locators ".loc" file path

do this as a last step after creating the locators.... (this is for complete automation of creating address locators, not exactly practical to use this method if your creating them manually)

filedata1 = "supportsEmptyHouseNumber = true \n"

filedata2 = "supportsOptionalZone = true"

with open(locatorPath, 'r') as file :
  filedata = file.read()

# Write the file out again
with open(locatorPath, 'a') as file:
  file.write('\n')
  file.write(filedata1)
  file.write(filedata2)
  file.close()

JeremyScott
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue as the OP. I am trying to geolocate intersection data. I used the USA Geocoding Service in Business Analysts, but it is too broad and wasn't finding all of my intersections. I thought maybe it was a tad out of date, so I wanted to try a local roads layer to see if that would provide better results. I have created the locator from ArcCatalog but it returns no matches (including actual street addresses). When I try the Find tool, again no matches. Any suggestions why the local roads layer would not be able to match any intersections? I used the US Dual Range Addresses locator style.

Thanks

Jeremy

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The op is four years old:  what version of ArcGIS are you using and how are you creating your locator?  Did you make sure you toggled the Match with No Zones property as suggested?   What is your procedure  'to geolocate intersection data' ?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JeremyScott
New Contributor II

I am using 10.7.1. I have toggled the Match with No Zones to 'YES'. I am

creating my locator from ArcCatalog. My procedure is to create the locator,

add the data to ArcMap and geocode through the normal process (File --> Add

Data --> Geocoding --> Geocode Addresses). I have geocoded for years, but

just haven't done strictly intersection geocoding. So, I'm not sure if

there are different parameters that need to be set up or not.

0 Kudos
JeremyScott
New Contributor II

Joe,

Nevermind. It turns out my City fields were abbreviations and not the full

names. Once I found and fixed that, the geocod worked (albeit with quite a

few unmatched records).

Thanks for your help and sorry for the false alarm.

Jeremy