A simple question on Oracle Database 10g Release 2 10.2.0.4 + ArcSDE10.1 + Linux

Jump to solution
03-28-2014 06:27 AM
giuseppeprocino
New Contributor II
Is ArcSDE10.1 fully supported on Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (64bit) 10.2.0.4  on Linux red hat 5 enterprise 64 bit + Update 7?

The ArcSDE 10.1 official documentation talk about only of
Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (64bit) 10.2.0.1 (there aren't 10.2.0.2, 10.2.0.3, 10.2.0.4 versions) on Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES 5 (64-bit) + Update 7

ref.:http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/system-requirements/10.1/index.html#//01510000006s000000

Regards
Giuseppe P.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Even though the question has changed, the correct answer has already been provided.  
Read Asrujit's answer (changing "10" to "11"), and follow the link to the support policy page.

- V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Giuseppe,

Per Esri Supported Environment Policy, ESRI will continue to support environments if they meet or exceed the base build environment and that environment is known to not fail.  Hence oracle 10g R2 (64-bit) 10.2.0.4 is supported as the base build 10.2.0.1 is supported, with the release of ArcSDE 10.1.

Non-certification of an environment does not necessarily mean it is not supported. That environment is supported if it meets or exceeds the base build environment and that environment is known to not fail. Environments that are known to not work are usually documented on the product support page as soon as that information is available.

Supported Environment Policy
http://support.esri.com/en/content/supportedenvironmentpolicy
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
The only 10.2.0.1 that's ever been supported was Oracle Express.  Oracle 10.2.0.1 has
always been subject to strange failures, and therefore was never supported.  ArcGIS 10.1
is documented as supporting 10.2.0.3 (which means 10.2.0.3 and 10.2.0.4/5/6).

- V
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Yup, that was a mistake. The supported Base build should have been Oracle 10.2.0.3.

Thanks for pointing that out Vince.
0 Kudos
giuseppeprocino
New Contributor II
I'm sorry there is a mistake in my question becouse I wrote 10g instead of 11g!

The correct question is:

Is ArcSDE10.1 fully supported on Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (64bit) 11.2.0.4 on Linux red hat 5 enterprise 64 bit + Update 7?

The ArcSDE 10.1 official documentation talk about only of
Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (64bit) 11.2.0.1 (there aren't 11.2.0.2, 11.2.0.3, 11.2.0.4 versions) on Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES 5 (64-bit) + Update 7

ref.:http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/...0000006s000000

Regards
Giuseppe P.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Even though the question has changed, the correct answer has already been provided.  
Read Asrujit's answer (changing "10" to "11"), and follow the link to the support policy page.

- V
0 Kudos
giuseppeprocino
New Contributor II
Hi Vince,
then ArcSDE10.1 is fully supported on Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (64bit) 11.2.0.4 on Linux red hat 5 enterprise 64 bit + Update 7.

Thanks a lot.
Giuseppe P.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Non-certification of an environment does not necessarily mean it is not supported. That environment is supported if it meets or exceeds the base build environment and that environment is known to not fail. Environments that are known to not work are usually documented on the product support page as soon as that information is available.

(emphasis mine)

Frankly, I think your OS version is ancient (and therefore vulnerable) -- I'm using 5.10 with
30-odd patches applied.  Running the newest database on a neglected OS is still risky.

- V
0 Kudos
giuseppeprocino
New Contributor II
(emphasis mine)

Frankly, I think your OS version is ancient (and therefore vulnerable) -- I'm using 5.10 with
30-odd patches applied.  Running the newest database on a neglected OS is still risky.

- V

Hi Vince,
but if don't want update my OS Red ha enterprice linux AS/ES (64) bit - Update 7 (and ArcSDE 10.1 too) because there are another application do you think that I must "downgrade" Oracle from the actual 11.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.1 as indicated within documentation for my OS (see image)?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32661[/ATTACH]

Giuseppe P.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
The same Esri service pack policy that applies to databases applies to operating systems.
RHEL 5.10 is supported along with 5.7.

Failure to apply security patches on a production system is always a bad idea.  Verify the
patches with your test system before applying them to production, sure, but neglecting
the patches says you don't care if some criminal takes ownership.

- V
0 Kudos