3D data structure

07-20-2015 08:08 AM
KaziSaiful_Islam
New Contributor

Dear All,

I raised this issue couple of days ago. Unfortunately I haven't got any reply. So I am raising this issue again-

We are trying to develop a database for Dhaka City where we'll store the floor wise use of the buildings.

For example, ground floor of a building may be used for commercial use, first floor may be used for administrative use and rest of the floors may be used for residential use. We'll assume that the floor height is constant (10-12 feet).

The problem is to visualize the same. One option of visualizing this database is to define the floor height of each of the floors differently and then symbolize the same using the attribute. This is a layer by layer approach, which is quite cumbersome.

I need your help on the database structure and the visualization procedure.

Thanks and regards,

KSI

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShaliniRamesh1
New Contributor II

Hi Kazi,

Were you able to figure this issue? I have a similar issue to represent building use, energy use and surface temp data.

Thanks

Shalini

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Well, in a 2d environment, there is no easy way round this other than to have specific layers representing to different levels of the data. Essentially you have multiple overlapping polygons covering the same 2d space.

0 Kudos
ShaliniRamesh1
New Contributor II

Thanks Neil.

I am looking at the data structure for 3D buildings. Do you know how the data can be visualized in a 3D context?

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Well in ArcScene, you could extrude each polygon using the floor ht and the cumulative floor ht of those below it as the base level. Might be a little tricky to set up but certainly doable.

0 Kudos