Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro - Add Load Objects Command

06-21-2017 05:38 AM
Labels (1)
RichardLittlefield
Occasional Contributor II

In ArcMap there is the Load Objects Command, it's found under customize mode. See link on how to add it in ArcMap. I use this all the time, and would like to see it in Pro or an equivalent tool. I've done a little bit of searching and it doesn't seem to exist for Pro. Can it please be added?

Adding the Load Objects command to ArcMap—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

15 Comments
CherylTrine

The append tool may accomplish what the Load Objects command did, but it is much more cumbersome.  It takes four clicks to change the source for one field, whereas in Load Objects it took only one!  When you have many fields to map, time really adds up.  I would be happy if the append tool were modified so field mapping is done like in the Load Objects command.

JasonPoston

Load Objects and Append Tool in ArcPro should, at a minimum, include all the functionality of the Load Objects tool in ArcMap.  Being able to completely mass populate the data and perform a visual verification of the data before importing and committing it to the database is a must.

CARTOG
by

I completely agree, I can't believe they have no intention to add the tool to pro. it is essential to my daily workflow and I have been really outspoken about it. My company made a huge investment in policy to require cad submittal standards that must be met by submitting engineers. We are a water and sewer authority in a coastal community that has booming growth. This policy made it possible to keep up with the workload that comes from all that growth. From a properly layered cad drawing, I can use the Load Objects tool to input the separately layered features from the cad file into our enterprise GIS data base and mass attribute them on the way into the SDE feature classes. it also aids as a visual guide as the dialog box will show you the individual features that are being imported. This tool was also the sole, go to tool that we used to convert from a cad based "quasi GIS" to our Enterprise GIS 15 years ago and I couldn't imagine that conversion without that tool. I hope ESRI will provide this tool in pro.

MargaretCrawford

The concepts of appending vs data loading in ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap are similar, but the workflows differ between the two applications. The development team believes the Append tool serves as a replacement for ArcMap’s Object Loader and Simple Data Loader, and also includes a number of enhancements over those ArcMap capabilities.

In ArcMap you can load data into existing feature classes and tables using the Object Loader, or you can use the Simple Data Loader from the Catalog window. Both functions only support loading records from one dataset into another, with simple 1-to-1 field matching between datasets to reconcile schema differences such as fields with different names. The Load Objects function which runs inside an edit session can apply snapping and topology rules as features are loaded.

In ArcGIS Pro you can access the Append tool from the Geoprocessing pane. Or in Catalog pane you can right-click a feature class in a geodatabase and select Load Data to open Append with that dataset pre-populated as the target dataset. Some of the comments in this Idea refer to the location of the Data Loader being customizable, we also want to say that all geoprocessing tools can be added to custom ribbon tab locations as well as the Quick Access Toolbar using these steps:  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/geoprocessing/basics/customize-arcgis-pro-wit...

ArcGIS Pro’s Append tool is designed to load the records of one or many input datasets into one target dataset. The Append tool also supports field matching, even if the schema does not match by setting the Field Matching Type parameter to “Use the field map to reconcile field differences.” Just like in ArcMap, any of the fields that have the same name are automatically matched. As the field map supports a number of advanced actions and 1-to-many field matching between multiple datasets, it is not as basic as the 1-to-1 field matching control used in ArcMap. In ArcGIS Pro 3.2, we updated the field map to make it easier to use, you can learn more about these updates, and walk-through an example using the Append tool here. In addition to loading new records, starting in ArcGIS Pro 3.1, Append supports upsert, so if there are existing records in the target dataset that should be updated with new attributes or geometry, that can be done in the same operation.

Below, is a table outlining the differences and similarities between the ArcMap/ArcCatalog and ArcGIS Pro capabilities. Let us know if you see features from either of the ArcMap tools that you think should be integrated in the Append tool in Pro.

MargaretCrawford_2-1704322245325.png

MargaretCrawford
Status changed to: Closed