Crowdsource Reporter App - required fields?

03-13-2018 01:13 PM
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Is there a way to require input of certain fields, like a name and/or email field, in a crowdsource reporter app (hosted in ArcGIS Online‌)

For example, this app:

https://meiamerica.maps.arcgis.com/apps/CrowdsourceReporter/index.html?appid=9ec838f078cb4ac6b19ec2b... 

How do I force users to put in anything in the Name box?

Another question - I like how you can record "date submitted" but can I have this hidden so that users cannot modify the date submitted? Or maybe have it where users see it but cannot edit it?

One more thing, I cannot get the popup of a non-edit layer to show up on my map, even though I have the check box checked on:

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AllisonMuise1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Adrian,

You can make fields required in the form by making them required in the data. To do this, I suggest exporting your layer to a file geodatabase, downloading it, opening it in Pro, and updating the schema of the feature class to not accept null values in the fields you'd like to be required. You can then overwrite the original service with your updated schema.

To record date submitted, I suggest enabling editor tracking on the layer. The Date Created field will reflect the date and time the report was submitted. You can hide fields from the form by turning them off in the popup configuration in the map. the Display checkboxes control which fields are visible when reviewing the details of a report, and the Edit checkboxes control the fields that are displayed on the form.

To show popups for reference layers, the following must all be true:

- the checkboxes shown in your screenshot must both be checked (as they are)

- the layer must be uneditable (if you need to edit the features elsewhere, you can simply turn off editing for the layer in the TOC of your reporter map)

- the layer must have the popup enabled in the web map

If these three are all true and you are still not getting the popup, could you please share the URL to your app so that I can take a look at what might be going on?

-Allison

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Allison,

Thanks for the help.

It makes sense to not allow null values in order to force some sort of entry - I like that.

For editor tracking, do all of these check boxes need to be checked?

For the popup, I have a feeling that my issue is because the layer in question is a Map Notes layer. But, I can view the popup in the web map regularly.

Web map link: http://arcg.is/05q94X1 

Link for the crowdsource reporter app: https://meiamerica.maps.arcgis.com/apps/CrowdsourceReporter/index.html?appid=9ec838f078cb4ac6b19ec2b... 

Thanks,

Adrian

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Adrian,

Glad to help! What a cool idea for an app!

For the purposes of what you've outlined above, I would add the second checkbox as well. This one will add fields for tracking the date/time of when features are created & edited. The third checkbox would be useful if your users will all be signed into AGOL accounts and you wanted to track WHO made the changes. The fourth isn't really applicable for this app as it doesn't support offline work.

You are right about the Map Notes - I should have added a fourth point:

- the layer must exist as either a hosted or Server service (aka have a REST endpoint)

You can turn your map notes into a hosted service by clicking the ... under the name of your map notes layer in the TOC and choosing Save Layer. If this doesn't solve it....let me know and I'll take another look!

-Allison

0 Kudos
ElizabethHigh
New Contributor III

Hey! As a follow up to this question: can I remove the "(required)" that shows up at the end of each question in the Crowdsource app when I've made the field unable to accept null values? 

I'd like to customize the text to say something along the lines of "required by xyz rule..." When I do that now, I get "(required by xyz rule...) (required)"

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Elizabeth,

I had a hard time customizing the crowdsource reporter app and kind of gave up on it to move on to different ventures based on different needs.

0 Kudos