Select to view content in your preferred language

What does this Community setting do? "For my board subs, notify me for: Only the first post in each topic"

Jump to solution
a week ago
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

What is the purpose of this Community setting? What is a "board subscription"?

For my board subscriptions, notify me for: Use default (only the first post in each topic)

Bud_0-1724797670721.png

https://community.esri.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions:notification-settings 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

@Bud For Board Subscriptions, this refers to receiving a notification only when there's a new original post in a Board you follow as opposed to every time someone adds a new comment or reply on any post in that Board. For instance, if you're subscribed to the ArcGIS Pro Questions Board and change your notification settings to "All Posts," you should expect to receive notifications every time there's a new original post, comment, or reply anywhere in that Board. This would be overwhelming in many cases and is not typically a recommended approach.

There's a difference here in that if you subscribe to a post itself either by being the author of the original post, adding a comment to a post, or using the 'subscribe' button on a post, you will receive notifications for every new comment so long as you haven't suppressed them in your notification settings. That's controlled by the default setting: Automatically subscribe me to all topics or reviews I participate in. Hope this helps!

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you want to be notified everytime someone posts on your thread or a thread that you posted on vs only the first time someone posts.

... sort of retired...
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

I wonder why that's the default. It doesn't seem very useful.

0 Kudos
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

@Bud For Board Subscriptions, this refers to receiving a notification only when there's a new original post in a Board you follow as opposed to every time someone adds a new comment or reply on any post in that Board. For instance, if you're subscribed to the ArcGIS Pro Questions Board and change your notification settings to "All Posts," you should expect to receive notifications every time there's a new original post, comment, or reply anywhere in that Board. This would be overwhelming in many cases and is not typically a recommended approach.

There's a difference here in that if you subscribe to a post itself either by being the author of the original post, adding a comment to a post, or using the 'subscribe' button on a post, you will receive notifications for every new comment so long as you haven't suppressed them in your notification settings. That's controlled by the default setting: Automatically subscribe me to all topics or reviews I participate in. Hope this helps!

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Some posts dribble on forever and you have to Unsubscribe from them, so once is usually enough

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos