Inconsistent Label Choices Between Post and Ideas

Jump to solution
12-24-2020 08:47 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I've been doing a bunch of geocoding lately and posting a number of questions to the Data Managment Questions Board. The Label choices for questions include Geocoding: 

JoeBorgione_0-1608828272829.png

But for posting a suggestion the list is much different:

JoeBorgione_1-1608828393340.png

I'm not sure what the other boards look like, but a consistent list between the two would be nice.

That should just about do it....
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Joe,

I wanted to follow up on this to provide some more details about why there is a difference between the labels that you see when posting questions vs. those that you see when submitting an idea.  In a nutshell, they serve different purposes.  Labels used for Questions boards can be used by community members to both categorize their posts and also filter posts to something that is of interest to them specifically; e.g. Editing, or in your case, Geocoding.

But labels for ideas serve a very specific purpose for product teams.  This is the FAQ about idea labels. The Data Management idea exchange and the ArcGIS Pro idea exchange are very good examples.  

These are the labels for Data Management ideas.

And these are the labels for ArcGIS Pro ideas.

On our side, we have product engineers and product owners for each of those specialties who is subscribed to and watching those labels.  We note this in the ArcGIS Ideas Submission Guidelines and Statuses 

"Your feedback is important to us and we take it seriously.  Product team members are subscribed to idea exchanges and labels so that they can keep a finger on the pulse of what you are requesting and build software and services that best meet your needs..."

So while it is fine to ask an Editing, Geocoding, or Python question in the Data Management Questions board, if you are submitting an idea about Editing, you'll need to first think about in what product you would like to see the editing improvement.  Is it a request for ArcGIS Online?  Then it would be an idea submitted in the ArcGIS Online idea exchange.  Is it an improvement being requested for ArcGIS Pro related to geocoding?  Then it should be an idea submitted in the ArcGIS Pro idea exchange and given the Geocoding label.

I hope that sharing this level of detail helps in understanding the differences between question labels and idea labels.

Cheers,

Kory

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Joe you are correct that label choices can appear differently for boards even when they are grouped under the same product place. It's something that I think we can provide feedback on to Product teams to see if we can bring consistency. I am looping in @KoryKramer and @ThomasEdghill for awareness as they have worked closely with Product teams defining labels for Ideas and am sure will be interested to hear this feedback. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Joe,

I wanted to follow up on this to provide some more details about why there is a difference between the labels that you see when posting questions vs. those that you see when submitting an idea.  In a nutshell, they serve different purposes.  Labels used for Questions boards can be used by community members to both categorize their posts and also filter posts to something that is of interest to them specifically; e.g. Editing, or in your case, Geocoding.

But labels for ideas serve a very specific purpose for product teams.  This is the FAQ about idea labels. The Data Management idea exchange and the ArcGIS Pro idea exchange are very good examples.  

These are the labels for Data Management ideas.

And these are the labels for ArcGIS Pro ideas.

On our side, we have product engineers and product owners for each of those specialties who is subscribed to and watching those labels.  We note this in the ArcGIS Ideas Submission Guidelines and Statuses 

"Your feedback is important to us and we take it seriously.  Product team members are subscribed to idea exchanges and labels so that they can keep a finger on the pulse of what you are requesting and build software and services that best meet your needs..."

So while it is fine to ask an Editing, Geocoding, or Python question in the Data Management Questions board, if you are submitting an idea about Editing, you'll need to first think about in what product you would like to see the editing improvement.  Is it a request for ArcGIS Online?  Then it would be an idea submitted in the ArcGIS Online idea exchange.  Is it an improvement being requested for ArcGIS Pro related to geocoding?  Then it should be an idea submitted in the ArcGIS Pro idea exchange and given the Geocoding label.

I hope that sharing this level of detail helps in understanding the differences between question labels and idea labels.

Cheers,

Kory