Why can't I change the header color on the Story Map Tour Side-panel layout? The tab is there but it's greyed out.

Jump to solution
04-16-2018 10:42 AM
KellyMarton
New Contributor III

The tab is there but it's greyed out. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Kelly

In Story Map Tour, the Color tab in the Settings doesn't apply to the new 'side-panel' layout: Those color settings only apply to the original two layouts ('three-panel' and 'integrated'), so we disable that tab if you are using the side-panel layout. In the new side-panel layout, the color of the layout elements: header, the cover page banner, and the panel where the captions appear, is fixed in our design. So, for example you can't change the color of the header at the top of the layout like you can in the other Map Tour layouts: we use black for the side-panel layout's header, so it matches the appearance of the header in the Story Map Cascade app. We could relax this restriction in a future release if it is something that a lot of people would like to be able to set, but for this first release we aimed to unify the look of the side-panel layout.

Hope that helps.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Kelly

In Story Map Tour, the Color tab in the Settings doesn't apply to the new 'side-panel' layout: Those color settings only apply to the original two layouts ('three-panel' and 'integrated'), so we disable that tab if you are using the side-panel layout. In the new side-panel layout, the color of the layout elements: header, the cover page banner, and the panel where the captions appear, is fixed in our design. So, for example you can't change the color of the header at the top of the layout like you can in the other Map Tour layouts: we use black for the side-panel layout's header, so it matches the appearance of the header in the Story Map Cascade app. We could relax this restriction in a future release if it is something that a lot of people would like to be able to set, but for this first release we aimed to unify the look of the side-panel layout.

Hope that helps.

Rupert

0 Kudos
KellyMarton
New Contributor III

Thank you for the information. I think it would be helpful to have the option to change this. My client's logo doesn't have any variation that looks good on a black background and it was the first thing they asked about changing. 

RachelDe_Loza
New Contributor II

I just want to second Kelly's desire to change the colors. Our logo isn't the most flattering with a black background either, and ultimately we like to have a consistent color pallet throughout our website and applications. 

KenBernard
New Contributor II

I also want to suggest letting the user change the color in future releases. We prefer the change to the side layout but now it doesn't feel as connected with the rest of our apps/website which uses a consistent color scheme. 

0 Kudos
AndreaLins1
New Contributor

I just want to third Kelly's desire to change the colors.

0 Kudos