64 bit ArcObjects Libraries

Jump to solution
07-22-2010 07:42 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: wmackenz2

Can anyone at ESRI advise on when the ArcObjects .net libraries will be available in 64bit form?

I'm currently using VS2010 on Windows 7 to build a 32 bit C# .NET application, but in the near future I will need to link to some 64 bit assemblies for a pure x64 platform. Does ESRI have a timescale for when 64 bit ArcObjects libraries will be available?

Many thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnHauck
Occasional Contributor II
rlwatson, has this correct, NO 64 bit AO assemblies for 10.1 just the subset for Server. Also as he mentions the new lightweight runtime will support native 64 bit. Here is a link that talks about this a little more:

The Road Ahead for ArcGIS

The new ArcGIS Runtime will not be a replacement for the Engine Runtime, rather a lightweight cross platform API that could replace certain workflows and aims at really taking advantage of newer technologies.

We should start to see more information about the ArcGIS Runtime as we get closer to the beta for ArcGIS 10.1 (New Runtime beta is currently scheduled for the first or second week in August). If you are really interested in what this API has to offer and if it will meet your needs please stay tuned to the ArcGIS Beta community site for more details on when you can get involved with the ArcGIS 10.1 beta.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kaolinfire
New Contributor
I'd like to piggyback on this question re: the availability of 64 bit cross-platform c++ libraries. Thanks (and fingers crossed).
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MattPil29

So I see that v10 has these libraries set to target x86 (http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#X86).

And that we should target x86 (http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#PlatformCPU)

Does this mean we won't see x64 versions anytime soon?

Matt
0 Kudos
EddieJesinsky
New Contributor
I believe that one of the new features in 10.1 will be 64 bit servers, so I would hope that they have 64 bit ArcObjects libraries available at the same time.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rlwatson

In 10.1, ArcGIS Server is 64 bit only.

I would very surprised to see a 64 bit version of ArcMap in the 10.1 timeframe.  One alternative is to use the new runtime.

The ArcObject libraries are classified with regards to availability in Engine, Desktop, and Server.  Server is very much a subset of that which is available in Desktop.  The implication here is that, IMHO, only libraries required by Server will have 64 bit version in the 10.1 release.
0 Kudos
JohnHauck
Occasional Contributor II
rlwatson, has this correct, NO 64 bit AO assemblies for 10.1 just the subset for Server. Also as he mentions the new lightweight runtime will support native 64 bit. Here is a link that talks about this a little more:

The Road Ahead for ArcGIS

The new ArcGIS Runtime will not be a replacement for the Engine Runtime, rather a lightweight cross platform API that could replace certain workflows and aims at really taking advantage of newer technologies.

We should start to see more information about the ArcGIS Runtime as we get closer to the beta for ArcGIS 10.1 (New Runtime beta is currently scheduled for the first or second week in August). If you are really interested in what this API has to offer and if it will meet your needs please stay tuned to the ArcGIS Beta community site for more details on when you can get involved with the ArcGIS 10.1 beta.
0 Kudos