Why is the HTML popup tool greyed out?

06-19-2018 03:39 AM
TomRuff
New Contributor III

I'm attempting to show photo attachments in a html popup but I can't get the html popup tool to activate. I've selected show html popups in the feature properties of the layer. But I'm unsure how to progress.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Can you include a screenshot of the situation and mention what software you are using, including the version?

0 Kudos
TomRuff
New Contributor III

Absolutely, Im using Arcmap 10.5 

The screenshot shows the greyed out button in the top left.

Cheers,

Tom

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

To start, the HTML pop-up won't work in Layout view:

Switch to Data view:

... and please include a screenshot of the layer properties to see how you defined the html pop-up.

TomRuff
New Contributor III

Great thank you it was that simple. Unfortunately it didnt achieve what I wanted as I thought I could leave them on the layout view and print the map with photos as labels essentially. Do you know of any way I can show attachments as labels or something that achieves as similar effect?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

In ArcGIS Online, you could do something like this ( Show Attachments in Web Map Popup ) to include the photo in the pop-up.  If your goal is to create a hardcopy map and show the photos on the layout, you can include them manually and add a line to connect the photo to the location. This will only be a solution if you have  a small number of photos to show on the layout. How many do you have?

TomRuff
New Contributor III

I have a large number of photos taken on collector for trees in a forest. Ideally I want an arcmap drawing with several pages of dots each dot labelled by a photo which I have as attachments for the dots (similar to the screenshot but with multiple trees on one page).

Is this possible? Doing it manually would be a pain. I assume it could be done with python if the placement of pictures in the layout view can be automated? 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Nowadays it is more common to share a web map or web App containing the data so that others can explore the content or create a StoryMap.

However if only a hardcopy map works for you, then you could use data driven pages: How To: Add dynamic images to a map document with attachments from Data Driven Pages and as you mentioned with Python there is a lot possible. Please note that Python will not create new elements on your layout, but it can modify existing ones. So you could have a layout and include dummy (white) images in a certain area and replace the image with the photo using Python. This will require some heavy programming...

0 Kudos
TomRuff
New Contributor III

Yes this is as close as I've gotten using data driven pages. I'll look into thanks very much for your help.

0 Kudos
xiaobingzhu
New Contributor

I made the same mistakes hahhaha

0 Kudos