Select to view content in your preferred language

Troubleshooting batch geocoding from an ArcGIS Pro locator in ArcMap

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
andrewdfahey
Emerging Contributor

Hi there geocoding enthusiests,

Background

I have produced two new locators for my organization in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5 as part of our migration towards Pro. The short of it is I cannot batch geocode off these locators in ArcMap in any way regardless of connection type even though ArcMap seems to understand how the locators work as evidenced by the locate function operating as expected.

Locator design:

• The first locator is a single-role point address locator that takes our address data down to the subaddress.

• The second is a composite that uses a larger regional addresses dataset we've recently finalized that captures a few neighboring jurisdictions as well as our own. The composite nature of the locator is that it is essentially the previously mentioned single role locator, just assessed twice: once with subaddress information and once without to allow a little more leniency in matching addresses across the jurisdictions.

• Custom output fields are configured for these locators so that users can see the data source of the matched addresses since the regional address dataset is a combination of some 4-5 address layers.

• Additionally, there is an alternate street name table for two major roadways that had their names changed but are often still inputted as the old name by the public.

• There are no other substantial configuration options to mention, like match with no zones, etc.

Issue

The issue is that I cannot batch geocode off these locators when I try and connect both as a Portal connection or as a direct server connection. ArcMap seems to understand the locators just fine though since I can locate single addresses correctly. Multiple test data samples, including a very small test CSV with 5 addresses returns "There was an error trying to process this table". If I try to geocode through a server connection specifically and click "Geocode Options", it immediately crashes ArcMap. I feel like it has to be how ArcMap is trying to employ the locators since all the documentation I've read seems to validate things should be working, but I'm at a loss now.

Desperate Plea for Help

Any advice is appreciated, and below are some considerations and avenues I've explored a bit already.

Extra Info/Things I think I've ruled out

Versions:

Enterprise 11.1

ArcMap 10.8.1 is the supported version and what I'm testing with

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5 is what the locators are in. 3.2 is the very soon-to-be-supported version for my org, but that shouldn't matter in this context

Pro vs ArcMap version issue? Don't think so. I had thought it would have been an issue with versioning. However, as I mentioned, the locators are both made in 2.9 which from what I have seen should be fine with ArcMap

Composite vs single role locator issue? Don't think so. One is a single role, point address locator while another is a composite, meaning is it not the composite aspect of the locator that is the issue. Likewise, the State's composite locator works fine

Enterprise vs Pro version compatibility issue? Don't think so. I'd also have thought that perhaps there is a compatibility issue between my organization's Enterprise version and the Pro version, but the locators work in our Portal and of course in Pro fine while they do not work in ArcMap with neither a Portal connection nor a direct server connection to a public server

Test data issue? Don't think so. I tried with several datasets that were CSVs. Tried on network vs Cdrive. Tried multi field vs single field as well. Even cleaned up the headers to make sure there was not some arbitrary special character causing an issue.

Create Locator vs Create Address Locator tools? These locators were made with the Create Locator tool and Create Composite Address Locator, so it is not an issue with the Create Address Locator tool which I've seen be an issue in other postings. Likewise, I'm explicitly trying to use server and Portal connections to no avail since I understand ArcMap cannot run Pro locators made with the Create Locator tool UNLESS a portal connection is made ....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andrewdfahey
Emerging Contributor

After further testing, there appears to be an issue with trying to save the output as a shapefile. As long as the output is directed at a GDB feature class, the batch geocoding works

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
andrewdfahey
Emerging Contributor

After further testing, there appears to be an issue with trying to save the output as a shapefile. As long as the output is directed at a GDB feature class, the batch geocoding works

0 Kudos