Standardized Mapping - map template vs map package

Jump to solution
12-03-2020 11:26 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am making a map template for several of the field office staff to use. I've created a map document in ArcMap 10.8 (because that's what the field folks are using) and I am getting ready to deploy the template.  But my question is - what is the best way to share this and deploy to field computers?  

I guess I don't' really understand the differences between a map template and a packaged map.  If I just share an mxd with my users - then it seems like they could just open the mxd on their end, repair data connections to their local layers and have all of my settings saved (layout, layer symbol defaults, labels, web services for imagery) - then they could move this file to the ...Roaming/Apps* folder and use as a map template. 

But, it seems I could also share a map package w/ them and then they could still do the same thing, but I think this will also include a copy of all layers in the TOC.  Perhaps it's simplest to share the .mxd (unpackaged) so that the data isn't attached, is that the main difference here?  

Oh, and BTW most folks are currently working off their local drives, and already have the needed layers since shared network drives are way to slow in these days of telework.  The smaller the files the better.

Thoughts?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You're right, a map package would be it's own entity with a collection of layers associated with it.  I would trust your instincts and just provide them with an MXD, then they can relink all their layers.  The MXD will also store the required symbology, although I'd also recommend sending a set of layer (.lyr) files.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You're right, a map package would be it's own entity with a collection of layers associated with it.  I would trust your instincts and just provide them with an MXD, then they can relink all their layers.  The MXD will also store the required symbology, although I'd also recommend sending a set of layer (.lyr) files.