Orthomosaic display settings

Jump to solution
11-30-2020 09:08 AM
Labels (1)
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

I created an ortho mosaic from a number of orthophotos and opened it in ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop. Although the 'Visible Scale Range' is blank, the photos don't appear till your down at c1:1500, which is no use for getting a general overview. Are there some hidden settings I'm missing?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I'm assuming you added the photos to a mosaic dataset? If not, then I'd be keen to know how you did it.

Have you built overviews on the mosaic? These are generalized tif images separate from your source rasters which participate in small scale depictions of your mosaic. For file Geodatabases they are stored in a folder alongside the fGDB.

there are tools in the mosaic dataset to define and build overviews.

It's best to try those two in sequence leaving the defaults and see what happens.

to access them: right click on your mosaic dataset (in the geodatabase and not in ArcMap):

Optimize -> Define Overviews

Optimize -> Build Overviews

hth.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I'm assuming you added the photos to a mosaic dataset? If not, then I'd be keen to know how you did it.

Have you built overviews on the mosaic? These are generalized tif images separate from your source rasters which participate in small scale depictions of your mosaic. For file Geodatabases they are stored in a folder alongside the fGDB.

there are tools in the mosaic dataset to define and build overviews.

It's best to try those two in sequence leaving the defaults and see what happens.

to access them: right click on your mosaic dataset (in the geodatabase and not in ArcMap):

Optimize -> Define Overviews

Optimize -> Build Overviews

hth.

SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

Hi David,

Thanks for that. I'm new to orthomosaics and was unaware of the overviews. That seems to have worked perfectly.😊