Maps with Same Projection but do not overlap

Jump to solution
05-03-2022 05:13 AM
conjuradoBench
New Contributor II

Good day!  I have a huge problem with my maps. Kindly see the attached files.

Map 2 has an unknown source and therefore, I try to use the 'define projection'. I input the projection of Map 1 for them to overlap. However, even with the same projection, it did not work. Please help me how to adjust the projection of Map 2 correctly to overlap it with Map 1. I sincerely can't find a solution to this and this is for my thesis so I sincerely need help. Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Sorry but I will not open a random .zip file on my computer.  I would simply create a database and a dataset and use Web Mercator for the coordinate system.  Then import both into the feature dataset.  That should properly convert both features into the same projection. 

View solution in original post

RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Each dataset needs to have a projection defined in order for Map to project on the fly.  Will also need defined coordinate system to convert to another.

So, in either case, you will need to define the projection on Map2 to the actual spatial reference for Map2, not the same as Map1.

R_

RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I am defiantly not a projection guru.  Someone else might have better idea, but, generally, you get that information from the source.

Sometimes you can make "assumptions" based on the common CS's in that particular area and see if you get lucky and it lines up.

R_

8 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Sorry but I will not open a random .zip file on my computer.  I would simply create a database and a dataset and use Web Mercator for the coordinate system.  Then import both into the feature dataset.  That should properly convert both features into the same projection. 

conjuradoBench
New Contributor II

@RobertBorchert Thank you so much for your response. I'm new in arcGIS and so I only know the basics. That's why, if it's not too much to ask, can you explain to me in detail how to create a database and a dataset and use Web Mercator for the coordinate system. I'm using the arcgis 10.8 version. Please help me. Thank you.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Each dataset needs to have a projection defined in order for Map to project on the fly.  Will also need defined coordinate system to convert to another.

So, in either case, you will need to define the projection on Map2 to the actual spatial reference for Map2, not the same as Map1.

R_

conjuradoBench
New Contributor II

@RhettZufelt Thank you for your response. Can you please tell me in detail how to determine the actual spatial reference of a map if it has an unknown source? That, I think, is my main problem right now. I am genuinely hoping for a response. Thank you.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I am defiantly not a projection guru.  Someone else might have better idea, but, generally, you get that information from the source.

Sometimes you can make "assumptions" based on the common CS's in that particular area and see if you get lucky and it lines up.

R_

conjuradoBench
New Contributor II

@RhettZufelt Thank you so much for your help. I'll definitely try that. Have a great day.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

What format are you files in?  Shapefile, database, etc.

0 Kudos
conjuradoBench
New Contributor II

@RobertBorchert both are in shapefile format 

0 Kudos