Joining tables

Jump to solution
06-25-2021 06:17 AM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I am trying to join and .xlsx table to an attribute table so I can copy features from the Excel table. However

when I go to bring the Excel table into my map, I get the, 'Failed to Connect to database error. An underlying database error occurred. Class not registered.' So I googled the error message and it said you need to download the Microsoft driver for your computer. So I downloaded the 'Accessdatabaseengine_X64.exe' driver from the Microsoft website and installed it on my computer. Then I tried bringing the .xlsx document into my map again but still got the same error message. 

ScottLouque1_0-1624626896021.png

How can I resolve this? Should I try installing the 32 bit version and see if that works? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

And you're using ArcMap, but you  have a Windows 10 64 Bit os, right?  You can try the 32 bit version but you're on you own.  I don't even know if ArcMap will recognize .xlsx worksheets.

This is one of the many problems that goes away when you migrate from ArcGIS Arcmap and to ArcGIS Pro. 

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

My suggestion would be to use the excel to table tool first and then join the resulting table.

StephanieSnider
Occasional Contributor III

I agree with Joe.  Even though you can join directly to an Excel sheet, I find it causes more unexpected errors.  As someone that does tech support, this is a common problem that our GIS users see.  Import excel to table first, then join.

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

I ran into another issue. 

The table I am trying to join has x, y coordinates in it and I need to geocode some new points in the Excel table in my map.

The way I usually do this is by just right clicking the Excel table in the TOC and Display XY coordinates but since I can't bring the  Excel sheet in my map, I can't do this. Can you still use your method to geocode x, y coordinates?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Yep;  I try to avoid using Excel worksheets as a data source as much as I can.  Convert it to a table and you are good to go.

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

the Table to Table conversion tool doesn't even let me add the Excel table as an input. It gives me the above error message.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

And you're using ArcMap, but you  have a Windows 10 64 Bit os, right?  You can try the 32 bit version but you're on you own.  I don't even know if ArcMap will recognize .xlsx worksheets.

This is one of the many problems that goes away when you migrate from ArcGIS Arcmap and to ArcGIS Pro. 

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you for that suggestion! 

I can just do what I want in Pro

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The agency I work for is strictly an ArcGIS Pro shop; I don't even have ArcMap installed, and haven't for nearly 2 years.  My motto is go Pro or go home....

0 Kudos
Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

You might need to silent install the 32-bit driver (from command line as opposed to from the GUI) in order to allow ArcMap which is a 32-bit program to connect to excel.