Extract data from a shapefile for particular locations

Jump to solution
08-19-2021 01:01 AM
PiyaMohasin
New Contributor

Hello,

I have a shapefile containing the information on the distribution of different reptiles across the earth's surface. These distributions are layers of polygons constituting the shapefile. I have particular locations (x-y coordinates) for which I wanted to extract the reptile information from the original shapefile. I tried changing the original shapefile into a raster file, but the result is wrong. I tried creating a point shapefile for the locations, but I cannot extract the values from the reptile shapefile to the location point shapefile.

Would you please help me?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the particular X/Y coordinates as a CSV, Excel or any other tabular format? X (Lon) and Y (Lat) coordinates should be in different fields. Are the values in Decimal Degrees?

First create a Point feature class from from the above table. Ensure you choose the appropriate coordinate system.

Then use Spatial Join, to extract polygon information to the overlapping Point features.

Think Location

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the particular X/Y coordinates as a CSV, Excel or any other tabular format? X (Lon) and Y (Lat) coordinates should be in different fields. Are the values in Decimal Degrees?

First create a Point feature class from from the above table. Ensure you choose the appropriate coordinate system.

Then use Spatial Join, to extract polygon information to the overlapping Point features.

Think Location
0 Kudos