ArcMap ModelBuilder

10-07-2021 04:48 PM
Labels (1)
ImmortanJoe
New Contributor II

Hello, I am a beginner to intermediate GIS user. I have a data table (table A) with a field that is updated by one department and the data in that field needs to be updated in two other tables. Neither of the two tables has that field and there is not a common field I can use to join the tables. I want to create a solution in ModelBuilder that I can run whenever the data is updated. Would I need to relate the tables to table A and if so can I set that up in ModelBuilder?  Please let me know if I need to elaborate.

Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

If there is no common field for your other two tables how do you expect to join anything? You give such a generic vague description to your problem that it's impossible to answer. I suggest you edit your question and include some images of your data and explain it in more detail. You don't even say if this is spatial data where a spatial relationship could be established?

ImmortanJoe
New Contributor II

Hi Duncan, I have sensitive data I cannot post. Table A is Feature Data with a "z" field, this "z" field is in Table B which is also Feature Data but the data is not updated in Table B. Table C is a stand alone table that shares a common field with Table A but not Table B. I need to add the "z" field to table C and create a model that can be used to update this field in Table's B and C based on the information from Table A. Please let me know how else I can elaborate.

Thank you

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

This can be done in modelbuilder but you should try it manually to get yourself familiar with the tools then replicate in modelbuilder, because you would not be asking this question if you knew how to use the correct tools.

Getting your Z field in FeatureClass A into table C is easy, simply use the Join Field tool based upon your common ID field you mention.

Updating Z in FeatureClass B with the values in FeatureClass A can be done if both tables have a common ID field. This is why you need to show your data (even faked) as I have to make an assumption here. With a common ID field you could temporarily join the data using the Add Join tool run a field calculate then break the join.

0 Kudos
ImmortanJoe
New Contributor II

Hello Duncan,

Attached is a picture of the model I have created so far. There is also a parcelbase layer (stand alone table) that is not shown on there. The zoning layer has the accurate Zone information and I need to create a model that will update that zone field in both the parcels polygon data table and the parcelbase. I am wondering if there is a way I can use the field calculator or a python function that will recognize incorrect values and replace them with the correct value from the zoning layer. Please let me know if there is more information needed.

Thank you

0 Kudos