Workforce for arcgis questions

Jump to solution
07-11-2016 05:07 AM
AliBarakat
Occasional Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I have the following questions for the workforce:

1. is it possible to change the app design? change logo, icon, title, color, etc...
  2. is it possible to change the fields in this screenshot? i tried changing the fields in the feature layer, i removed one and added other fields, but it didnt work.workforce.PNG
  3. is it possible to remove the navigator app from the available apps? and maybe add another app?
  4. is it possible w add the assignments from another feature class instead of adding them one by one from the browser?

And if there is a tech support that i can contact please let me know.

Thank you in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Ali,

Hello Ali, thanks for your feedback on Workforce.

1. No, at this time it is not possible to change the app design.

2. No, it's not possible to change the fields that are displayed in the web or mobile app.  Can you provide some information on why you'd like to change the fields and what you'd like to add or remove?

3. Yes, it will be possible to remove Navigator from the available apps; for the 1.0 release we have an App Integration experience that allows you to configure which ArcGIS app (Navigator, Collector or Survey123) to use with your project.  Which other apps are you considering adding?

4. Yes, there's a few ways you can do this.  You can use ArcGIS Pro to edit the Assignments feature service in the same way you'd edit any other feature service.  You need to make sure that you follow the guidelines for how to create assignments; The Workforce Schema.  You can use a script to import assignments into the feature service; we've created several that you can use as a starting point: workforce-scripts

Similar questions to were posted to the Workforce Beta forum but included a few additional questions; please let me know if you'd like to continue the discussion there.

thanks,

Craig

View solution in original post

24 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Ali,

Hello Ali, thanks for your feedback on Workforce.

1. No, at this time it is not possible to change the app design.

2. No, it's not possible to change the fields that are displayed in the web or mobile app.  Can you provide some information on why you'd like to change the fields and what you'd like to add or remove?

3. Yes, it will be possible to remove Navigator from the available apps; for the 1.0 release we have an App Integration experience that allows you to configure which ArcGIS app (Navigator, Collector or Survey123) to use with your project.  Which other apps are you considering adding?

4. Yes, there's a few ways you can do this.  You can use ArcGIS Pro to edit the Assignments feature service in the same way you'd edit any other feature service.  You need to make sure that you follow the guidelines for how to create assignments; The Workforce Schema.  You can use a script to import assignments into the feature service; we've created several that you can use as a starting point: workforce-scripts

Similar questions to were posted to the Workforce Beta forum but included a few additional questions; please let me know if you'd like to continue the discussion there.

thanks,

Craig

AliBarakat

Thank you very much Craig for your helpful reply.

for number 2, for example i want to remove the priority field or add any other field needed. it would be much better if these fields were flexible.

also i have 2 extra questions:

• is it possible to do an integration with geoevent? if yes, what are the best benefits of this integration?
  • When is the next update and what are the new features?

Thanks again for your kind help!

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Ali,

Can you provide some more information on why removing the Priority field is a use case?  If left empty; it will not appear to field workers.  Can you provide some use cases or more information on what additional fields you would like to add? 

My replies to your 2 other questions

1. We're working on the initial 1.0 release of Workforce within the next week or two.  We have a number of updates planned for the first release, including the ability to edit Priority and Due Date/Time in bulk and an improved app integration experience, including the ability to specify a particular web map or survey to be opened when either Collector or Survey123 are launched.
  2. Yes, but not out of the box.  Workforce uses feature services, so integration with Geoevent Server would be done using the same steps for any other feature service.

Craig

AliBarakat

Dear Craig,

There is no particular reason for adding/removing fields, im just thinking about future projects where some people would like to have only specific fields to describe their assignments and not all of them.

Thank you very much for your useful answers.

Btw, I attended the dev summit in palm springs few months ago, and your presentation on workforce was my favorite, it was very interesting.

Since that moment i started working on workforce and started trying different cases.

I will try some additional stuff and i'll get back to you if needed.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Ali,

Thanks for clarifying on the request to add/remove fields. What we're hearing from users is that; while they first want to add or remove fields from the Assignment feature service and have that reflected in the web and mobile apps; once they realize that they can launch Collector from Workforce; that handles the majority of scenarios where they want to customize or change the Assignments feature service.

There definitely are valid use cases for adding fields to the Assignments feature service and have them appear; that's in our backlog for a future release.  If you have examples like this, please pass them along so I can add them to our backlog.

Thanks for the comments, glad you enjoyed the session on Workforce and looking forward to hearing your feedback after it's release.

Craig

AliBarakat

Hello again,

I have some additional questions if its okay:

1. The current workforce allows you to open collector\survey123 then choose which webmap\survey to use, so you will see the full list of webmaps\surveys linked to the user then you choose one of them. Will it be possible to go directly to the needed webmap\survey without seeing the remaining ones?
  2. If yes, is it possible to link each assignment to a different webmap\survey?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Ali

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Ali,

1. Yes, this is possible in the 1.0 release of Workforce; here's two docs that go into more detail on this:
    1. Migrating Workforce Projects from Beta
    2. Configuring App Integrations
  2. Workforce allows you to link a web map/survey per project.  Can you provide some more information on linking to a specific assignment?

thanks, Craig

AliBarakat

sure!

for example, lets say i have 4 assignments

Assignment 1: uses webmap1 in collector

Assignment 2: uses webmap2 in collector

Assignment 3: uses survey1 in survey123

Assignment 4: uses survey2 in survey123

i give a worker assignment1, i want this mobile to directly open webmap1 in collector without giving him the option to go to another webmap.

if i give him assignment4, he should directly go to survey2 in survey123.

it might be risky that the worker open another webmap or survey by mistake.

This will help us avoid any misunderstanding or confusion between dispatcher and worker.

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Ali, thanks for following up.  A couple follow-on questions:

• Can you go into some detail on your scenario where workers would be using both Collector and Survey123 in the same project?
  • Can you talk about the scenario where you have different web maps or surveys for different assignments?

I agree that you want to the Worker to be using the right web map or survey for their work; but it's not a use case we've come across where a single Workforce Project uses Collector and Survey123.

Examples of your project and the scenarios you're trying to solve would really help to dig into this.

thanks, Craig