Workforce and Survey123 repeats

11-29-2020 02:30 PM
ToryChristensen
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I'm using a mixture of Survey123, Workforce, Dashboards and now Power Automate to coordinate the classic asset inspection program i.e A few thousand assets that are inspected a few times a year on no set schedule.

Currently I have been passing an asset ID from Workforce to Survey123 using a custom URL, than then triggers a pulldata to populate the assest's information, such as name, location, owner, etc. This has worked well, but its always been annoying that I cant define the relationship between the asset and the inspection. I have an asset layer and an inspection layer, and a number of power automate flows that update layers with data, such as adding a last inspection date from the inspection layer to the asset layer... not ideal!

Recently I've learnt about how you can use repeats to create a relationship between asset and inspection and now I'm  transforming my data to create the thousands of asset surveys, ready for the inspections (the repeats).

Using the asset inspection model as described, can Workforce launch a specific survey? Or does it require the workers to get to the work site, then manually find the right survey?

Assistance from people who have overcome this would be greatly appreciated 🙂

6 Replies
IanGallo
Occasional Contributor

@TonyChristianson Did you ever find a solution to this? I f you have a chance, could you point me to documentation describing this workflow? I'm setting up a project that would definitely benefit from this. 

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Using Workforce OOTB, it cannot be configured to open or launch a specific survey (or feature).  It is technically possible to do this with Workforce, however, it requires a large amount of configuration outside the web app.

• The GlobalID of the feature to be opened needs to be stored on the assignment so that it can be passed to Survey123
    • you would need to add the GlobalID manually; outside Workforce, in order for this to work
    • the alternative is use set the popup title of the asset the feature is created from to be it's GlobalID; Workforce will then store that GlobalID in the Location text field of the assignment and you can pass it to Survey

Neither of these are workflows we want to continue to suggest - we're looking at enhancing the Workforce web app to allow the GlobalID of features to be passed to the Assignment, when the Assignment is created in the Dispatcher web app. Supporting that workflow will allow you to use Workforce for inspection related use cases.  I'm hopeful that this is work we can pick up and deliver for the June, 2022 release of Workforce.

0 Kudos
IanGallo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @CraigGillgrass. Is there documentation of what else will be included in the june release? That mid-season for us and it would be good to know what to plan for. 

I was more curious abou the repeat relationship creation mentioned in Tony's initial post. Currently, we are running a workflow similar to what tony describes using power automate, however, this creates a new record for each inspection that is not tied to the "asset" in the GIS. More curious on that workflow as we would like to easily reference past inspections when conducting a new one. Could you point me to some documentation on how to set that up? 

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @IanGallo 

Unfortunately no, we're still planning out what could be in the June release and the work I'm speaking of hasn't been approved or assigned to the June release.

I can't comment on the Power Automate part of the original post, I think it might be handled as a question in the Survey123 area or possible @ZacharySutherby can point you to the appropriate place.

Craig

0 Kudos
IanGallo
Occasional Contributor

Recently I've learnt about how you can use repeats to create a relationship between asset and inspection and now I'm  transforming my data to create the thousands of asset surveys, ready for the inspections (the repeats).

Sorry to not be specific earlier. This is what I am looking for more information on. 

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @IanGallo,

Survey123 uses 1:M GlobalID to GUID relationships for repeats. Please see these documentation links for more information: 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/working-with-existing-feature-services-in-arcgis...

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/survey123withexistingfeatureservices.htm#...

If you are looking to configure the relationship class please see this documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/create-relationship-class.ht...

If you are looking for a workflow for posting data to a related table using Power Automate Esri wouldn't really have specific documentation on that. You would need to send an applyEdits REST call to the feature service using the HTTP module in Power Automate. 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos