Workers Webpage

12-19-2016 03:54 AM
AngelRamos
New Contributor II

Can workers access a Webpage to access from the PC?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Angel,

Workers cannot open a project using the Workforce web application.  Can you provide some more details on the use case for a Worker to access a Workforce Project from a webpage?

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos
AngelRamos
New Contributor II

I think it would be interesting the worker can access the web app because they do not always work with mobile devices, they also work with laptops and in the office.

On the other hand I think it would be fundamental that the dispatchers could work in the app because they often work on the street to see the incidents that are generated.

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Angel,

Dispatcher can work with the mobile app; if they've been added to the project as a worker.  This is to support the workflow where a Dispatcher may also be assigned work to perform in the field.

Craig

0 Kudos
GlenColgate1
Occasional Contributor

Sounds to me like a "Super Worker" or "Crew Chief" type role is needed that could access both UI. We have been exploring similar needs for those workers the company deems capable of assigning/reassigning work for themselves and others. This role is distinguished from the typical worker that is just focused on his/her todo list. So far the only solution available to us is giving certain accounts both (work and dispatcher) roles.

- Glen

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for this additional information Glen, I'll make sure it's added to our issue in the Backlog.

0 Kudos
Brian_Laws
Occasional Contributor

I think it would be useful for workers to be able to access Workforce in a browser since our organization has decided to move forward in giving our field crews Windows 10 ruggedized tablets.  We've been looking into possibly using Workforce, but since there is no Windows 10 app it can't be a solution for us.

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

Your workers can access the Workforce web app in a browser if they are added as Dispatchers to the project.  Keep in mind; this means the Workers will be able to perform the same tasks as a Dispatcher.  I'd be interested to find out if this option doesn't work for you situation and why.

thanks for your comment and interest in Workforce,

Craig

0 Kudos
Brian_Laws
Occasional Contributor

Hi Craig, thanks for your response.

While I see that adding Workers as Dispatchers will give them access to the project, I'm not sure that I would be comfortable with giving them access to possibly add/delete/modify assignments.

On the Dispatcher page I see that you can filter the assignments so that the Worker could just list the assignments that were given to them, but I can't see how they would work through the assignment (Start, Pause, Finish, Decline, add notes,) or for them to change their status (Working, On Break, Not Working).  I also see that there is a Worker tab on the bottom left, but that just seems to be a list of workers that are added to this project and how many assignments they have been given.

Please let me know if I'm missing something and these things can be done on the Dispatcher page, I might be missing something since I've just been playing around with it for the last week or so. 

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

I agree that you don't want to give Workers access to the ability to add/cancel/modify assignments.  That's one of the primary rules of Workforce; a Worker has access to their assignments. We don't have any plans to provide the Worker capabilities in a web app; we'll be focusing our efforts on improving our mobile app for Workers.

It seems like what you're looking for is a way to access Worker capabilities on a Windows 10 device and you're looking at the Workforce web app to do that.  We decided earlier this year to suspend development of Workforce (and other selective apps) on Windows 10 until we see an increase in Windows 10 adoption; here's our blog post on this:

ArcGIS Apps for the Field on the Windows Platform | ArcGIS Blog 

I'd encourage you to send the feedback to the alias listed in the blog.

Craig

0 Kudos