Record completion when worker cannot access app

04-06-2018 10:17 AM
MikeOnzay
Occasional Contributor III

In one of our workflows with WF there is a scenario (usually at 455 pm on a Friday) where the dispatcher group cannot make an assignment to a worker for various reasons. The only way to get the assignment out is to start calling around the office. The information gets relayed by voice, the task gets done, a phone call comes back that the assignment is done.

This dispatcher can't go back into the assignment and close it out. Maybe the dispatcher never put it into WF. Either way that data point gets lost.

Some ideas I have are that every dispatcher could also be a worker. But that would require every dispatcher to install the worker app on their phone which they probably won't do.

Second idea would be that a dispatcher could complete an assignment they created. They can already cancel an assignment so it would seem that it would be possible for WF developers to add this option.

My third idea would be to create separate web map or survey123 form the dispatcher can use to manually edit the HFS and complete the ticket. This is the most do-able thing I can do now although needing to introduce a separate app to a workflow is not ideal.

What do other people do?

Any other ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mike,

Couple thoughts on this:

Some ideas I have are that every dispatcher could also be a worker. But that would require every dispatcher to install the worker app on their phone which they probably won't do.

I don't recommend this as a workflow; for the reason you mention but also because you'd now have all these extra workers that could be accidentally assigned work.

Second idea would be that a dispatcher could complete an assignment they created. They can already cancel an assignment so it would seem that it would be possible for WF developers to add this option.

This is something we're considering.  Should all of the Dispatchers in your organization be able to mark assignments as Completed in the web app?  Or, should only certain Dispatchers have this ability?  If the Project Owner had the ability to mark assignments as Completed, would this work for your scenario?

My third idea would be to create separate web map or survey123 form the dispatcher can use to manually edit the HFS and complete the ticket. This is the most do-able thing I can do now although needing to introduce a separate app to a workflow is not ideal.

Even if we added the before mentioned ability, that would not be available for several months at the earliest.  I do recommend the workflow you mention and would suggest that creating a web app to handle this is the way to go.  I know of several other users who are using this workflow and it works well for them.  From your description; this is not something that Dispatchers need to do often and you can use Web App Builder to create a focused web app for this.  If you go this route; you need to consult the Workforce Schema doc and ensure you are setting all the correct values for Completing an assignment:

Workforce schema—Workforce for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Craig

0 Kudos
MikeOnzay
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your responses. It is good to know my thoughts on this are not that far off.

Should all of the Dispatchers in your organization be able to mark assignments as Completed in the web app?  Or, should only certain Dispatchers have this ability?  If the Project Owner had the ability to mark assignments as Completed, would this work for your scenario?

I think that any software solution should be coupled with a SOP for dispatchers. As the project owner I would not want to be the one who is always turning on/off a dispatcher's ability to complete an assignment. In my scenario I'm not in the same department as the dispatchers.

I would like to have an option within WF to allow a dispatcher to have the ability to complete an assignment.

Could there be multiple levels of dispatchers? A dispatcher lead or supervisor could be given the ability to turn on/off the ability for other dispatchers to complete assignments. This dispatcher's privileges would be somewhere between a project owner and a regular dispatcher.

For now I will pursue my original 3rd idea.

Mike

0 Kudos