Can custom fields be added to the assignment layer?

11-22-2016 06:39 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all.

Can you, or is it on the radar, to be able to add custom fields to an assignment layer?

We currently have a point feature class of our own that we use as our jobs layer to track work. We have a whole bunch of extra fields, probably quite specific to our needs, but that help us track, filter and report on the jobs. We use Collector and web apps, ops dashboard etc to update and view these jobs.

e.g. Not only a work order, but we include a reference to the property (e.g. farm or orchard) that the job relates to. We have own our jobid, but also a field for the purchase order from the client. We have job notes fields for internal and client purposes, invoicing status, supply regions, etc etc.

I realize that many users would have some external enterprise job tracking system and simply tie the two together via the 'external work order' field. But of course then the user also has to implement systems to coordinate jobs and their status between the two systems.

My preference would rather be the ability to add custom fields to the assignment layer itself. Preferably, users could update these custom fields within Workforce itself.

I'm trying to avoid the complexity of maintaining multiple datasets/tables/features where ever possible.

I guess the questions are:

• Is there any reason why custom fields could *not* be a feature in Workforce?
  • Is there a manual way to add custom fields, some sort of work around?

cheers,

-Paul

19 Replies
MichaelKohn
New Contributor II

Thank you for the quick response Craig! Good to know!

0 Kudos
JordanFuhrmann
New Contributor III

Hi @CraigGillgrass , was any progress ever made on this?

Cheers,

Jordan.

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

No, we haven't made progress on this.  However, supporting the ability to add your own fields to the Assignments feature service is on our roadmap to support when Workforce is included in Field Maps. That work is currently scheduled for 2023.

0 Kudos
PTOOffice
New Contributor

It's 2024. Any idea when implementation will happen? I would like to build out a dispatch form for bus accidents and a critical piece is stating whether students are on board. It changes the priority, and I want that question (and others) to prepopulate in my Survey123 app. 

0 Kudos
ChrisBerryman
New Contributor III

Do you update those custom fields via python?  I have added custom fields to the assignments layer and have a .set_value function that says it sets the value of my custom field but actually never does. 

PTOOffice
New Contributor

I haven't gotten that far because I'm still working on different phases of the overall project. But if you're saying it doesn't work for you, I have little hope it will work for me. I'm considering changing course and basically having a feature layer (accidents) that have a simple dispatch questionnaire that feeds a larger form that will have those necessary fields answered. However, this seems like a wonky way of accomplishing this. Workforce seems the most logical way to accomplish this task.

0 Kudos
JohnWatson_EBA
Occasional Contributor

@CraigGillgrass checking on the status of this. Do you know when it is scheduled to be added? Q2 maybe? Thanks.

GISAdministrator_LMCC
New Contributor II

Any updates on when this will occur?

0 Kudos
RoseSimancas
New Contributor

Any update ?

0 Kudos
HeatherHawkins
New Contributor

Anything yet? 

0 Kudos