Select to view content in your preferred language

Workforce for ArcGIS Improvements

11-16-2016 11:12 AM
DakotaDorn1
Emerging Contributor

I think it would be really useful to be able to create work orders in the field if you are in a dispatcher role, as well as complete workorders in the office. Sometimes when I am in the field I find something that needs to be a work order, but am then forced to write it down and create it back at the office. The paper trail continues...

I think it would also be useful to have a print button for the work order for in office use. Not everyone in our field crews has a city phone so print outs are how they get their work from their supervisor. The print out would need to contain both the details of the work and the map, which isn't possible right now.

Searching for features in the search bar would also be very helpful as opposed to searching for a certain address.

Notifications of incoming assignments or completions of assignments. I know this is possible when the app is running in the background, but it also drains battery. A better way to receive those or maybe an email would be nice.

13 Comments
PatrickFilyer

Craig, I am not concerned that the roads supervisor will create duplicate assignments while in the field. We have one roads supervisor per region so they should be familiar with the assignments they create. 

AndrewBartell

What's the timeline for rolling out this new feature of allowing the field crews to self-assign?  It sounds like this is a fairly common work flow where crews are out in the field and see work that they would like to stop and complete.  Writing down on paper and taking it back to the office to enter a work order at the end of the day kind of negates the idea of using this as a fully-integrated web product.  

CraigGillgrass

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for your feedback and questions.  The ability for Workers to self-assign, and for the corresponding work in the Project configuration to support this, will follow our next major release for Workforce which is focused on Offline support.  That is tentatively scheduled for Q4 of this year.

The ability to create new assignments in the mobile app is a separate issue in our backlog. This ability is is in our longer term Roadmap and I don't have it assigned to a release at this time.  In the interim, several users have used the workflow of Collector or Survey123 to create assignments.  We've also authored several blogs on how to do this:

I agree that, using paper to track this work negates some of the benefits of using a mobile app; our goal is for Workforce to be better than paper and for your mobile workers to not use paper for any of their field work.

Thanks again for the feedback, look forward to any thoughts or comments you have.

Craig