Workflow Manager Server Role in one machine?

Jump to solution
06-07-2022 11:52 AM
DiegoLlamasOlivares
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I was wondering what are the best practices when We talked about new Workflow Manager, 

I have a base deployment multimachine where my server is my hosted server. Can I authorize Workflow manager role on my same server machine right?

Or do I need to have a VM for my workflow manager server? What I have read, i need to install server,  and then authorize  workflow manager role then create site and federate with my Enterprise. 

What is the best way, using server from my base deployment or have other server specific for Workflow manager. I know that image, geoevent, notebook roles i have them in other VM but What about Workflow manager?

regards.

Diego Llamas

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

Hi @DiegoLlamasOlivares 

Best practice here will depend on what this deployment is for. For development and testing environments, it is fine to have Workflow Manager Server installed on the hosting server machine. However, for production deployments, we recommend you install Workflow Manager Server on its own machine, separate from the hosting server.

When you install Workflow Manager Server on its own machine, you'll need to also install ArcGIS Server on that machine. Workflow Manager Server is dependent on ArcGIS Server being installed as well. You would then federate that machine with your Portal and set the server role and handle licensing.

Hope that helps but let me know if you have further questions.

Jonathan 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DiegoLlamasOlivares
Occasional Contributor

hello. If you are going to federate Workflow manager, you fill need to create a site and install web adaptor in order to federate.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/workflow/latest/install/windows/configuring-workflow-manager-server...

Regards,

DLL

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

Hi @DiegoLlamasOlivares 

Best practice here will depend on what this deployment is for. For development and testing environments, it is fine to have Workflow Manager Server installed on the hosting server machine. However, for production deployments, we recommend you install Workflow Manager Server on its own machine, separate from the hosting server.

When you install Workflow Manager Server on its own machine, you'll need to also install ArcGIS Server on that machine. Workflow Manager Server is dependent on ArcGIS Server being installed as well. You would then federate that machine with your Portal and set the server role and handle licensing.

Hope that helps but let me know if you have further questions.

Jonathan 

0 Kudos
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

Hello! I am ready to deploy this exact same solution in our GIS Enterprise. We deployed successfully Workflow Manager on same machine than our ArcGIS Server for our Staging environment, but we want to follow best practices and install it on a separate server for Production. Do we have to install Web Adaptor too for this separate instance of server/Workflow Mnaager or is it not needed since it is not the hosting server with Portal? I am a little bit confused about that part. Thank you!

0 Kudos
DiegoLlamasOlivares
Occasional Contributor

hello. If you are going to federate Workflow manager, you fill need to create a site and install web adaptor in order to federate.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/workflow/latest/install/windows/configuring-workflow-manager-server...

Regards,

DLL

0 Kudos
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

Hello! I am ready to deploy this exact same solution in our GIS Enterprise. We deployed successfully Workflow Manager on same machine than our ArcGIS Server for our Staging environment, but we want to follow best practices and install it on a separate server for Production. Do we have to install Web Adaptor too for this separate instance of server/Workflow Mnaager or is it not needed since it is not the hosting server with Portal? I am a little bit confused about that part. Thank you!

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@StephanieRinguet2 There should be ArcGIS Web Adaptor for portal and  ArcGIS Web Adaptor for portal in the Production environment. The Workflow Manager deployment recommendation is to add a second ArcGIS Server machine to the site but you don't need another Web Adaptor (one per site). Reference: Multimachine ArcGIS Enterprise Deployment     

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

Oh ok, this is what I was wondering. You are correct. we already have a web adaptor for portal and server (they are installed on different machines), so I guess I would just need to add as a site. Thank you for your input, it really can get confusing at times.

0 Kudos