Workflow Manager Doc

05-19-2010 02:56 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Post Install Doc, showing JTX, and the Dialog pic in the help is showing old Connection Alias from 931.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
In the connection alias there are two text boxes, my first assumption was that If I type an Alias, I would see the Name Change as well, but I have to type the name twice, not sure why I would need an Alias and a Name, so I am a bit confused.
0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
They are actually two independent values used for different purposes. However, the two values could be the same.
Connection Alias - is the name that shows up in ArcCatalog or Workflow Manager Administrator as a connection node. This name is for you to identify which repository you are connecting to it in the applications
Name - is mostly used in a distributed work force if you are using repository replication. This is used to identify your database nodes that are participating in a Workflow Manager repository replication cluster. The Connection Alias names could be the same for two participants but they would need to have unique Names.
For more information on repository replication go here - http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Replicating_Workflow_Manager_Repositor...

So if you were expecting them to change as you updated one, it is not designed to work that way and they serve two different purposes.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Tope
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Yes, this does help and explains it better that what I was interpreting.
0 Kudos